Add Client Backup / Diaster Recovery

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been using OMV as a data backup to a Windows Home Server using remote and local shares, Rsync, scheduling, etc., with great success.

I've found that backing up the entire configured OMV OS to a second mini SD card to be a snap. Since I've been using a Raspberry PI, even having another Raspberry PI ($29.00) as a cold shelf spare is a low cost breeze. With this sort of redundancy, the chance of a unrecoverable disaster is very remote, which provides peace of mind.

In any case:
    Since all I'm really interested in is preserving server data and Client backup and recovery, I'd love to take OVM a step further and eliminate the Windows Home Server altogether. With that in mind, has anyone given thought to another plugin for bare metal client disaster recovery?
    I've been looking at UrBackup which is open source, and they they seem to have client and server installations that are native to Windows and Linux on both ends (client and server). The also have a recovery CD for bare metal restores. (Currently, I'm in the process of testing Client / Server scenarios with Virtual Box.)

Has anyone given thought to this possibility?

Many thanks for OMV. It's a fine product.
    Regards

((For a moderator:
    Would there be any interest in a guide for setting up simple data replication between OMV and a Windows Server? I have a good number of details worked out that could serve a SOHO or home network very well.))

• Offizieller Beitrag

has anyone given thought to another plugin for bare metal client disaster recovery?

Yep, I looked into making a Relax-and-Recover (REAR) plugin. It also has a recovery CD/DVD/whatever to do bare metal restores (wouldn't help with RPi though). REAR has some issue backing up to local media and I gave up.

For the advanced user, the backup plugin, booting systemrescuecd, and rsync, you can recover (and I have) just fine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

After looking over UrBackup, I found that they have a Debian ARM install for the PI, on the server side of things.
    https://www.urbackup.org/download.html#server_debian
    The User / Admin interface is a Web page and port 55414, not unlike some of the other OMV plug-ins.

From a second copy of my SD OMV card, I attempted to install UrBackup from the command line. (On a PI, using SD cards, a full OMV backup / duplicate is a snap.) I couldn't get the install to complete but I have to write that off to a lack of experience. ?(
    I don't have a lot of Linux experience so when I got an install error message, I didn't know how to compensate.

From appearances, UrBackup seems to be more complete and have better support from the maintaining organization, when compared to Relax and Recover (REAR). I'd follow up further but I simply don't have the expertise. (Hint, Hint.) ^^

((On a side note, the directory for storing UrBackup client backups would need to be scripted to default to a location other than the media where OMV resides. This is part of the install.))

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure why but I just made a urbackup-server plugin :)

Just make sure to set Backup storage path in Settings in the urbackup web interface.

• Not sure why but I just made a urbackup-server plugin :)

Just make sure to set Backup storage path in Settings in the urbackup web interface.

The plugin looks very nice. Thank you @ryecoaaron! I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to add a backup restore function for the database like the mysql plugin? Its really handy for an emergency situation. Urbackup uses SQlite indeed. It would be really nice to have.
    2. An icon is missing for the plugin on the right side of OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Is it possible to add a backup restore function for the database like the mysql plugin? Its really handy for an emergency situation. Urbackup uses SQlite indeed. It would be really nice to have.

UrBackup already does this - https://www.urbackup.org/admin…anual.html#x1-540008.1.12

2. An icon is missing for the plugin on the right side of OMV.

It shows up on mine. Maybe you need to clear your browser cache.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• UrBackup already does this - https://www.urbackup.org/admin…anual.html#x1-540008.1.12

It shows up on mine. Maybe you need to clear your browser cache.

Sorry, i don't read that manual. Will the database restored automatically if i select the backup folder location?
    About the icon: the network icon looks a little bit ugly. maybe we can use an Urbackup logo for it?

Last question: How to update Urbackup with this plugin? i don't see a repository in the sources.list. It would be nice to have an update feature in this plugin. :)

Sorry for my bad English.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the database restored automatically if i select the backup folder location?

I don't know. I don't use urbackup.

the network icon looks a little bit ugly. maybe we can use an Urbackup logo for it?

I threw together the plugin in an hour. It will need changes. The icon wasn't real high on my list of priorities.

How to update Urbackup with this plugin? i don't see a repository in the sources.list. It would be nice to have an update feature in this plugin.

I manually put the package in the omv-extras repo on bintray. So, I will continue to do this and it will have updates show up in the update tab that you can install easily. This same method is done for quite a few of the other plugins. I didn't see a repo available and it wouldn't go in sources.list anyway.

• I don't know. I don't use urbackup.

I threw together the plugin in an hour. It will need changes. The icon wasn't real high on my list of priorities.

I manually put the package in the omv-extras repo on bintray. So, I will continue to do this and it will have updates show up in the update tab that you can install easily. This same method is done for quite a few of the other plugins. I didn't see a repo available and it wouldn't go in sources.list anyway.

Thank you for you explanation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure why but I just made a urbackup-server plugin :)

Thanks ryecoaaron!

I was pleasantly surprised when Ichecked back on the forum and found that you "plugged"UrBackup into OMV.

Unfortunately, being a noob and all that, Ican't find the plugin. (And I have OMV-Extras.org and OMV-Extras.orgTesting enabled.) I'm using a Rasp PI build (2.2.11 Stoneburner for the ARMv7). Could that be reason?

Along other lines - it appears that this got a lot of attention so, um, sorry 'bout that. (It couldn't have done anything for your time management.) I do, however, sincerely appreciate your efforts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

'm using a Rasp PI build (2.2.11 Stoneburner for the ARMv7). Could that be reason?

Yep. The plugin is only for OMV 3.x.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!