OMV 2.0 - Raid 6 (6 x 4TB) FAILED state - Need some serious help

• So this afternoon I get emails from OMV (which I did not see until 1/2 hour ago) stating that a drive failed, then another email another drive, then another email another drive.. basically got emails identifying 6 drive failures. The email I got just before these emails was an email from OMV telling me that my resource limit had been exceeded.

Anyhow, fast forward to this evening. I see emails, I log on using OMV and ssh. OMV shows me raid md0 Clean, FAILED and the volume no longer shows up in the volume management area.

ssh shows me /dev/md0 is stll mounted on the filesytem and I can see some dirs and files. Seems fine, but I don't really want anything writing to the filesystem at this point so I reboot expecting things to clean themselves up because there is a very low likelihood that all the drives failed at once (and the /dev/md0 was accessible no problem). I don't have any hot or cold spares.

after reboot, raid isn't starting (not surprised) but I now am left with this:

No drives are reporting any kind of hardware errors or anything like that and all show up fine in the Intel raid bios screen.

Here is the other information:

Question is, where do I go from here? How can I re-add the drives in a way that tells the RAID they are the original drives all good? Because I can't add them in a way where it tries to rebuild because I don't have enough drives for a rebuild.

Help is appreciated.

Cheers

Update #1

I also did this based on an article somewhere and I think that his is also a good sign I could assemble the raid again? I just have no experience with this type of recovery so I need some advice before proceeding:

• Offizieller Beitrag

wow, nobody has any ideas on how to recover this?

I seem to be the only one who answers these posts and I am tired of trying to figure out why mdadm raid arrays don't start...

mdadm --stop /dev/md0
    mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md0 /dev/[cdefgh]
    update-initramfs -u

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well then I must say not only do I appreciate your response in general, but doubly-so due to the fact that mdadm is a source of frustration. I really thought going software raid for me was a better choice than having to rely on a proprietary hardware raid solution in the event of failures. I sure hope that these things don't occur enough for me to be concerned about (or they are easily recovered).

I will be trying this as soon as I get home from work and will post the results.

Thanks Again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used mdadm for years on multiple systems and never had an issue. BUT, I never turn my systems off or spin down the drives or put the system to sleep. I also connected all of my drives via sata. Not sure if you do any of that.

As for hardware raid, as long as you use a common raid card and never cheap motherboard raid, it is better than software raid.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I made a DIY NAS. I used the Silverstone DS 8 bay enclosure with a high end ASUS mobo and an Intel sata card x8 and 6x 4TB WD reds. It's my home media machine. Never shutdown , connected to dedicated UPS. As for spin down, I thought I had set that somewhere when it was setup a year ago, but now I cannot be sure nor do I recall how you do it. My NAS is pretty active constantly, but that is not to say it has no dead time so that's possible I guess. that NAS never sleeps either.

Now it is suspicious that a minute before these registered as failed, my box reported a high resource utilization.

Resource limit matched Service localhost

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 14:41:39
    Action: alert
    Host: CHOMEOMV.local
    Description: loadavg(5min) of 4.5 matches resource limit [loadavg(5min)>4.0]

Then the an email for each of the 6 drives in the array with the essentially same email time stamp

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 14:42:48 -0300 (ADT)

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
    running on CHOMEOMV

A FailSpare event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.

It could be related to component device /dev/sda.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md0 : active raid6 sda[6](F) sdf[5](F) sde[4](F) sdd[3](F) sdc[2](F) sdb[1](F)
    15623215104 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/0] [______]
    unused devices: <none>

• I seem to be the only one who answers these posts and I am tired of trying to figure out why mdadm raid arrays don't start...
    mdadm --stop /dev/md0
    mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md0 /dev/sd[cdefgh]
    update-initramfs -u

Well, I wish I could buy you a <insert your beverage of choice>.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like it is working. cat /proc/mdstat will tell you for sure.

• Looks like it is working. cat /proc/mdstat will tell you for sure.

Gotcha. This looks good.

Code
    root@CHOMEOMV:/tmp# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md0 : active raid6 sda[6] sdf[5] sde[4] sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[1]
          15623215104 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

unused devices: <none>
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any FAQ or something else on MDADM usage ? i haven't found one (at least not user friendly enough) .

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!