Seemingly odd Access Right Management (ARM) behavior?

• Folks,

I apologize if this is the wrong place in the forum to post this, though I am currently only using OMV as an SMB/CIFS share box.

Working with version 0.4.24 (Fedaykin), Linux Kernel 2.6.32-5-486

Discovered something odd about;

Access Right Management | Shared Folders | Add (or) Edit

when you define/edit the Path block for the share you may put in characters that I suspect the Linux build does not like, and yet OMV & Linux will allow them and create the path. You can access the share with SMB/CIFS from other computers.

An example path I created that worked;

\\users\test

this was due to my MS-DOS days as I am still learning Linux. I found this as I am still trying to get miniDLNA to work, which is a whole other story.

Back to the path creation, when I would SSH into the OMV box and try to use FIND to locate the above path or directory, it would fail. I would attempt to CD directory by directory to it and it would also fail. LS though would show it. I noticed that Linux was dropping some of the backslashes as it parsed the entry.

So now realizing the errors I made in the naming of the path I am reworking the issue, fortunately there is not much to do.

But the question remains is it a Linux or OMV fault that allows improper characters to be used in defining or editing the path? Other OS's I have used would not let me create directories or files with improper characters, so I thought Linux or OMV would as well. Or is this something I just have to learn about - the proper way to define/name directories and files?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

• Linux is less forgiving with file names then windows. One thing you should know is don't use spaces in a folder name. The data disk mounts at /media/uuid/.
    The uuid is a number like this "bb687805-94d4-46de-8bd8-8d4c772848d8" and it is associated with the disk that is mounted. To get to the root of the mounted drive in command line you would cd /media . You are not going to remember a uuid so now you would do a "ls", it's like a dir command in dos. This will give a list of the contents in the media directory. Then do "cd /media/bb68 then press TAB, and it will complete the UUID, / and then press ENTER. This will put you at the root of the data drive with the UUID give in the path. Stay with simple alpha folder name to start. It will take you some time. There is lots of info. on this forum and just ask questions anytime.

• This will help you to get SMB/CIFS going:

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1596

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1602

Do not share a shared folder in a service like FTP or SMB/CIFS more then 1 time. Make a new shared folder and then add another folder with different name to the service.

In OMV it is best to use the ext4 filesystem. It is native to Debian on which OMV is based. You only need to use privileges in the ARM to shares to a windows machine, no acl, if you use ext4.

Take a look here too if you haven't seen it already.

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1289

• Be careful with backslash. It is not same at all as windows. To create that path you would do this in linux.

mkdir -p /users/test/ (this would be in root of system drive)

This will create both the folder /users that then has the folder /test in it all at once. If you wanted to put it in the root
    of a data drive you would do:

cd /media/uuid/ (where uuid is the long unique identifier for you hard drive written out, use the TAB shortcut I mentioned above)
    mkdir -p ./users/test/ (notice the dot lets you skip writing out the prior parts of the path)

This should get you started. Good Luck!

• @tekbebe

Thanks for all your posts and links, I've read them, and I appreciate you taking your time to answer. Your link to the setup with an image at imageshack for CIFS options is how I had and have the shares defined. And the shares I've defined are working fine through out the house.

As for using one share for one service. I read what you said about not using other services with the same share, and while it makes sense, it also seems odd in my thinking. Why? Well, I posted in that thread to keep this one on topic.

I had found my created mangled directories through the /media/uuid/\\users\test and have since recreated the shares as you described and Linux prefers. As I said it was when I was searching for them through SSH with find, ls and trying to cd into them is how I found Linux does not appreciate the naming conventions I was using. Even removing them with rm was a chore as I had cd into the media/uuid/ and ls the files but had to do it as such rm -r \\\\users\test to delete them. You're not kidding though about Linux and the use of the backslash. It is just something I have to learn. Each OS has it's methods of doing things.

Thank you for the TAB key tip, it is valuable. I've also been reading other sites on Linux commands and how to use them.

CAUTION - Off topic - I've been dabbling with computers since the TI-99/4A days - had a complete system with expansion box, moved on to a Commodore 128, then to the IBM clones when DOS 3.3 was the OS, been through most of the DOS & Windoze (spelling intentional) versions, messing in the Windoze registry does not bother me. So I've dated myself. Bought a laptop a bit more than a year and a half ago and did not turn it on - till I pulled the harddrive, put in another and installed Ubuntu LTS 10.04 with Gnome. So I could learn something about Linux. I do occasionally mess with the configuration files to get it to work like I want, which unfortunately is closer to a Windoze XP interface. So as you see it does not bother me to be under the hood so to speak as long as I can read and understand what it is I'm doing.

Again thanks for your time and patience.

Dave

Update - 03Mar13-1930: The mangled naming I used with the backslash (from my DOS days) was the problem with getting miniDLNA to work. miniDLNA now appears to be working! As the DLNA logs show scanning files and scanning finished. It then moves on to 'Parsing playlists...' though that is all. Is there supposed to be an entry in the log stating it finished parsing?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!