Configuration with different storing techniques

• Hi guys,

I'm complete new to NAS systems/OpenMediaVault and have the following question. I like to configure a NAS system with two different parts of the storage using several hard discs:

A large portion (80% of the total storage) should store stuff without any redundancy, like a RAID 0. But preferably in such a way that each file get only using one hard disc (to have low power consumption; performance is no issue).

A small part (20% of the total storage) using high redundancy (RAID 6?).

Can something like this be done with the OpenMediaVault configuration directly? Or do I have to create partitions on the hard discs manually first?

Thanks a lot for any advise

• RAID is disk-level, not partition-level, so you are going to have to divide your storage in disks. No RAID (not RAID 0, which is something else) requires 1 disk. RAID 1 (=mirrorring) requires 2 disks. RAID 5 (=parity striping) requires 3 disks or more.

So you could have 1x6Tb disk without RAID and 2x1Tb disks set up as RAID1.

Remember that RAID redundancy is for fault tolerance, not backup. It doesn't protect your data against accidental destruction or file corruption. If you are looking for a backup solution, look elsewhere.

Instead of having 1x6Tb drive, you could have several drives pooled together with MergerFS, so that they appear to be one single drive.
    Instead of RAID1, you could simply use Rsync to backup your data every couple of hours.
    Or you could combine both and have pool of disks where you set up Rsync to backup some folders to a separate drive.

• raid is for availability
    raid is not backup
    for example raid cannot protect user's mistake, virus..
    then why use raid? because of availability
    think about running company, using raid 1 with 2disks
    one disk fail, but it can stil serve service, that means it is available

so best practice is.. having both availability and backup

so back to the your problem
    for home user, backup is more important than availability
    my suggestion is grabbing `addition` hard disk (should be seperated hard disk don't put your eggs in same basket)
    and rsync(similar copy, but only changed part is copied) important data to another disk

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• Thanks a lot guys! Yes, you are right. I think I will use something like MergerFS and create backups differently. Maybe there is an other option to distribute files on the hard discs with redundancy and recovery options apart from RAID.

• Thanks a lot guys! Yes, you are right. I think I will use something like MergerFS and create backups differently. Maybe there is an other option to distribute files on the hard discs with redundancy and recovery options apart from RAID.

Another option is to use SNAPRAID and it's internal pooling function or MergerFS for your data and RAID1 for your critical stuff. That way you get redundancy and a "short term" backup (until you sync) on the data.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!