No ethernet card detected

• Hello everyone,

I am having trouble installing openmediavault on my machine. Below is what I have tried so far.

I am trying to boot from a usb.

as a test I booted openmediavault on an old laptop with no problems (that weren't solved by this forum). So I decided to go and get a dedicated machine. I'm new to building from scratch, so I bought an asus M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard bundle.

Initially I used the usb that was used to boot to the laptop (version 0.4) but that only came up with the message
    "ISOLINUX 4.02 debian-20101014 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al"

This was raised in the post below, but with no solutions.

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1142

It was suggested to use a previous version (version 0.3). This started the install process but then comes up with the message
    "no ethernet card found"

I can find drivers for windows, but I don't know how to install them at bootup.

Also, I have installed ubuntu to test that the ethernet port is OK and I can connect to the internet with no problems.

After all that, is my problem with openmediavault? do I need to find a driver, if so how do I install? Should I just install as a virtual machine in ubuntu?

Thanks

• Thanks for the quick reply,

The only serial ports I can find on the bios are for the SATA drives. I've turned them off and I still get the same message.

I don't want to get too off topic at the moment, but I'm interested in the "no usb" debate. The smallest usb hdd I have is 120GB and it seems a waste when I have 30-odd usb flash drives lying around, if they fail I'll just reinstall. Also the external hdd needs a a power supply. Admittedly, I'm trying to do this in my house, with 2 users, so outage time is not really an issue.

Thanks

• What motherboard are you using? You do not want to turn off sata ports. I'll try to find manual for your motherboard and take a look. OMV is not a hypervisor and loaded in ram. It uses a minimal install of the Debian Squeeze operating system. There are way more read/writes to disk then a hypervisor that can be run in ram. There is no debate here. You can listen to someone that has used OMV for about 2 years now or do your own thing. But you have been warned. If you want to push the Debian OS running better from a usb stick you better take it up on the Debian forums. It is not an OMV issue.

• I'm looking up info on your board. What kind of usb drive is it? You have plenty of ports on that board. Can you take the external apart and put the drive in the machine? That is what I would do. But yes, you could run OMV from the external.

• Do you have your manual for the motherboard? Pg. 2-15

2.4.4 ONBOARD DEVICE CONFIGURATION

Serial Port1 Address [3f8/irq4]

Allows you to select serial port 1 base address. Configuration options: [Disabled] [3f8/irq4] [2f8,irq3] [3e8,irq4] [2e8,irq3]

You need to find this in the Onboard Device Configuration in your bios and disable it.

• If you do take that drive out of the usb enclosure and install it internally in your machine only have it connected to the sata ports when you install. After install of OMV turn off machine via the web-gui for OMV. Then connect the data drives.

I take apart usb enclosures all the time. Western Digital and Seagate can sometimes not be so easy. But if you search your model on Google you will probably find someone that has and maybe get lucky with instructions how to do it.

• I should add this. If you do not want to run your OMV headless, and have it in a basement like me, you can install Debian Squeeze 1st and then install OMV. This would allow you to easily use the rest of the space on the drive, and login with a full desktop. You might know other Debian programs you would like to use via the desktop. If this is the case after install of Debian Squeeze you can use this How To to install OMV.

See Ryecoaaron's post on this thread:

http://forums.openmediavault.o…?f=12&t=1508&p=6954#p6954

• Hehe, tekkbebe redefines the double posting..... ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!