Install Ubuntu and centOS server + desktop as dockers

• hello everyone

i want 2 os of ubuntu and 2 centos and 1 windows server as docker please guide me how to it on omv.

i want them as docker only

both type of installation server and desktop editions

please give me video links of it for easiness

thanks alot

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to learn what Docker is first. You cannot install Windows in docker. Docker does not really support a container with a GUI either. Watch these videos - https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In privileged mode you can open the hosts graphic card, even running own drivers. You can also passthrough the x socket. I did both before. You can also just run a non accelerated vpn, if you dont do 3d stuff inside.
    Windows however will not run of course. You could use kvm for that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In privileged mode you can open the hosts graphic card, even running own drivers. You can also passthrough the x socket. I did both before. You can also just run a non accelerated vpn, if you dont do 3d stuff inside.

That is why I said it doesn't really support a gui. When you are using the X socket, you are using the gui of the host. The OP was looking to run desktop environment in a docker not an app.

You could use kvm for that.

Gross. Running kvm in a docker to run windows is a horrible idea.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Why kvm in docker??? Instead of docker of course.
    And for the other part, you can also open a own x socket in docker, as long as the host does not reserve the graphics card. This is how all the cuda dockers work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why kvm in docker??? Instead of docker of course.
    And for the other part, you can also open a own x socket in docker, as long as the host does not reserve the graphics card. This is how all the cuda dockers work.

That is still just to use a cuda app not run an entire desktop environment. I've run a cuda app (folding@home gpu) without a desktop environment before. So, i get how it works.

• Still cuda uses the very same hardware resources. There is absolutly no issue to docker a desktop environment completly as long as it is the only desktop environment running and you give access to devices.
    I did build docker containers to run a hardware accelerated vpn on cluster hardware for example. This is used for stuff like paraview and such, where a lot of memory on the graphic card is needed and runs perfectly fine on Tesla V100, no x server installed on the host, just the necessary kernel modules need to be there. As it is easier for the users, I installed a complete desktop environment and shared it. 3D-Benchmark showed about 4% less performance than bare metal on k80 and about 3% on v100. The user experience is absolutly the same as bare metal.
    I do agree however, that @engrsameen needs to understand docker and most likely it is not a good idea to use it. Using some kvm enviroment sounds much more like what he is looking for. Maybe he should have a look at proxmox.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!