OMV 4 problems after install

• Hi,

after strarting installation directly from the installation media did not succedd (see thread "Graphics issue when starting install"), I followed the recommended practice:

• install intended system drive in anoither computer
    • perform initial install until 1st reboot (worked perfectly)
    • re-install the prepared system drive into the NAS box

While this generally worked and resulted in a "somehow" useable system, I faced several problems, which I were not able to solve all, so any help is appreciated..

• Network interface name mismatch, so no network available - solved by manual correction eth0 => eno1
    • Missing firmware "kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin" - solved my manual installation
    • always 4 "machiche check events" upon boot, but system is stable ... see below
    • systemd timeout because system harddisk does not become available - but afterwards the disk including all partitions is ok, but timeout is 1min 30 seconds ... see below
    • boot ends up in "emergency mode" (I assume the result of the above issues 3. and 4.), but if I continue with CTRL-D I end up in an useable system, e.g. webgui working, ...

Concerning the machine check exeptions, this is what the system log reads bootlog.txt:

As explained, the messages always appear at the same point on booting and the system runs stable, so I guess that these are no random HW failures ? Can they be ignored ?

Concerning the non-available harddisk, the system log reads bootlog.txt:

Additional info:

• systemctrl --type device shows no failing unit, also for all partitions on the system drive (sda1,sda2,sda3) systemctrl-device.txt
    • systemd-analyze blame shows 1min 30.397s dev-sda2.device, the other times to init are absolutely acceptable systemd-analyze_blame.txt.

As said, the boot stops in "emergency mode", from which I can continue with CTRL-D which results in an overall running system.

The system is based on a Pentium Gold G5420T ("Coffe Lake") on a Fujitsu D3641-S mainboard, 8G ECC. Maybe that is too new for the underlying Debian "Stretch" ?
    I will continue by checking if a plain Debian "Stretch" install succeeds, but any comments or help is highly apprechiated.

Regards, Sven

• The system is based on a Pentium Gold G5420T ("Coffe Lake") on a Fujitsu D3641-S mainboard, 8G ECC. Maybe that is too new for the underlying Debian "Stretch" ?

Well, this seems to be the case.
    Just after creating the thread, I relized that OMV 5.0.5 is out, albeit still being a beta (though not indicated as one), so I gave it a try. Result:

• direct booting from installation media worked (no graphical issues)
    • installation w/o problems
    • at boot, I still have those machine check exceptions - at the same point of time
    • no missing firmware
    • no hard disk timeouts, very quick booting

Well, so this solves a lot. However, still beta, and all those extra-addons like zfs won't work ?

Regards, Sven

• Offizieller Beitrag

all those extra-addons like zfs won't work ?

zfs is ported. You can see status of porting at these two links.
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=186122#post186122
    https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• zfs is ported. You can see status of porting at these two links.

Yeap, thanks for the info. However, just trying a plain installation by installing omv-extras and then just selecting the zfs-plugin from the GUI failed, so I think I need to dig in it somewhat deeper; but that is out-of-scope of this thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, just trying a plain installation by installing omv-extras and then just selecting the zfs-plugin from the GUI failed, so I think I need to dig in it somewhat deeper; but that is out-of-scope of this thread.

The plugin can't fix this. zfs-dkms builds the zfs module and depends on linux-headers. But apt installs the headers after zfs-dkms sometimes causing the module compiling to fail. The following should fix it.

apt-get -f install (might fail but that is ok because it should finish compiling the zfs module)
    modprobe zfs (load the zfs module so the other zfs packages can finish installing)
    apt-get -f install

-or-

You can install the proxmox kernel from the omv-extras kernel tab which eliminates the need to build the zfs module. This will also use the newer 0.8.1 version of zfs that includes encryption.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The following should fix it.

:thumbup: Thanx, that did it. :D . Just spent a like...
    Didn't try proxmox yet ... it is 4.15, while I currently have 4.19 (with OMV 5.05) which is long-term maintenance. However lets see when I've got some time I might test that.

Regards, Sven

• Offizieller Beitrag

Didn't try proxmox yet ... it is 4.15, while I currently have 4.19 (with OMV 5.05) which is long-term maintenance. However lets see when I've got some time I might test that.

The proxmox kernel on OMV 5.x is 5.0 (from proxmox 6.x).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!