System unusable after update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• System unusable after update

So, today I checked for updates in the web interface and OMV found some, so I did the update. After that, seeing that there was a kernel update, I rebooted and I wasn't able to do anything anymore.

I have a ZFS pool where I keep all the media files and looks like zfs module didn't load anymore. I took a look at the logs and saw that there was a problem with upgrading linux-headers-amd64 package, which also triggered problems with other important packages: openmediavault-omvextrasorg, zfsutils-linux, zfs-zed.

I went to the machine and rebooted. I chose the latest known working kernel, but I get the same prolem: ZFS pool is not mounted because zfs module is not loaded.

I checked /var/log/apt/history.log and tried to manually run the latest command I found in there and here's the output:

Shell-Script

1. ~# apt-get --yes --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confold dist-upgrade
      2. Reading package lists... Done
      3. Building dependency tree
      4. Reading state information... Done
      5. Calculating upgrade... Done
      6. The following packages have been kept back:
      7. linux-headers-amd64
      8. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
      9. 3 not fully installed or removed.
      10. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
      11. Setting up openmediavault-omvextrasorg (4.1.16) ...
      12. Updating configuration database ...
      13. Warning: apt-key should not be used in scripts (called from postinst maintainerscript of the package openmediavault-omvextrasorg)
      14. Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.GoOwqJkY2R/gpg.1.sh --no-tty --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 9dc858229fc7dd38854ae2d88d81803c0ebfcd88
      15. gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available
      16. run-parts: /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/apt.d/15omvextras exited with return code 2
      17. ERROR: Failed to create the default configuration: Command '['/usr/share/openmediavault/confdb/create.d/conf.system.omvextras.sh']' returned non-zero exit status 1
      18. dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-omvextrasorg (--configure):
      19. subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      20. Setting up zfsutils-linux (0.7.12-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1) ...
      21. Job for zfs-mount.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
      22. See "systemctl status zfs-mount.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
      23. invoke-rc.d: initscript zfs-mount, action "restart" failed.
      24. ● zfs-mount.service - Mount ZFS filesystems
      25. Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-mount.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      26. Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-10-02 21:05:06 EEST; 3ms ago
      27. Docs: man:zfs(8)
      28. Process: 6009 ExecStart=/sbin/zfs mount -a (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
      29. Main PID: 6009 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
      30. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla systemd[1]: Starting Mount ZFS filesystems...
      31. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla zfs[6009]: The ZFS modules are not loaded.
      32. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla zfs[6009]: Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
      33. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla systemd[1]: zfs-mount.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
      34. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla systemd[1]: Failed to start Mount ZFS filesystems.
      35. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla systemd[1]: zfs-mount.service: Unit entered failed state.
      36. Oct 02 21:05:06 tesla systemd[1]: zfs-mount.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
      37. dpkg: error processing package zfsutils-linux (--configure):
      38. subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      39. dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zfs-zed:
      40. zfs-zed depends on zfsutils-linux (>= 0.7.12-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1); however:
      41. Package zfsutils-linux is not configured yet.
      42. dpkg: error processing package zfs-zed (--configure):
      43. dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      44. Processing triggers for openmediavault (4.1.26-1) ...
      45. Updating locale files ...
      46. Updating file permissions ...
      47. Purging internal cache ...
      48. Restarting engine daemon ...
      49. Errors were encountered while processing:
      50. openmediavault-omvextrasorg
      51. zfsutils-linux
      52. zfs-zed
      53. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      Display All
      What can I do in this case? I have no idea at the moment and all my music, photos, movies are "suspended".
    • As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, this is caused by a newer kernel release while the headers meta package is still pointing at the old kernel (not available). So, the zfs module wasn't compiled for the new kernel. So, you can either boot the older kernel and start using the proxmox kernel. omv-extras kernel tab lets you do both.
      omv 5.0.10 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!