ASRock J3455-ITX Reboot Solution

• ASRock J3455-ITX Reboot Solution

Problem

Hi to all owners of this "amazing" motherboard! After build my NAS on this motherboard and installed OMV 4 i I ran into the following problem:
      System reboots without any reason

Dmesg and other log files are empty. After tons of forums i have understood, that there are 2 problems:
      - C-States of processor
      - Intel i915 driver

Here is my output of
      root@openmediavault:~# last -x reboot

pastebin.com/4WBgFu38

Solution

1. Go to UEFI/Bios and make some changes:
      - Advanced - CPU Configuration - Intel SpeedStep Technology - Enable
      - Advanced - CPU Configuration - CPU C - States Support - C1
      - Advanced - CPU Configuration - Enchaced Halt State - Disable

2. Update kernel to latest aviable for Stretch d

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# uname -r
      2. 4.9.0-11-amd64

3.1. Make changes in /etc/dafault/grub and change following line to:

Source Code

1. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.modeset=1 i915.enable_rc6=0 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.enable_guc_loading=1 i915.enable_guc_submission=1 i915.enable_huc=1 i915.enable_psr=1 i915.disable_power_well=0 i915.semaphores=1 i915.enable_execlists=0 processor.max_cstate=1 intel_idle.max_cstate=0"
      This black magic is working like a charm!

3.2 Update GRUB configs and reboot

Source Code

1. $update-grub
      2. $reboot
      4. Enjoy your NAS without reboots!
    • Many thanks!
      I had the same problem on the motherboard Gigabyte GA-N3160N-D3:
      Random kernel panic and rebooting. Regardless of OVM version and kernel version. Proxmox kernels also crashed.

Solution proposed by the SourYougurt helped to solve the problem!

sorry for my english
    • I've been running an ASROCK motherboard for over two years now on a Ubuntu Fileserver, and I had this exact same problem, random reboots, mouse freezing up bad
      so my whole shell is frozen. Here is the reason after much headache and troubleshooting. Yes it is a hardware issue but something a bit more mundane than
      whats been posted so far. I had installed that file server on an M.2 memory stick (500 gig) on the motherboard and plugin itself, so I never used a PCI card adaptor.
      Turns out that if you have all your SATA ports maxed out which I did, there will be conflict with the M.2 channel simply because the M.2 channel on the chip
      will grab resources allocated to at least 2 sata ports. Of course I did not know any of this when buying this new technology, but regardless I had to share that
      because that was a real headache trying to troubleshoot the error source, when in reality it wasn't that complicated a fix actually..
      Of course my motherboard manual did not go into detail on the channel sharing priority off the M.2 interface.
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest