rtcwake does nothing?

• Hi,

Can anyone help me get my n54l server to shutdown and wake up based on time of day?
    I've tried rtcwake as a cron job but nothing happens. Running "rtcwake -m off -s 300" under root from putty also does nothing.
    I've tried all the other power states but still nothing.
    After entering the commands I see "rtcwake: wakeup from "off" using /dev/rtc0 at Sat Nov 2 10:43:06 2013", the time and device both seem correct.

Any help appreciated.
    Mike.

• Thanks, I currently have wol and shutdown setup but wanted to have something automated so that the server was always on during the day time. rtcwake should be very easy to set this up, I'm just unsure why it's not working.

Thanks for the help though,
    Mike.

• The rtcwake guide is here http://forums.openmediavault.o…8252&hilit=rtcwake#p18252

You don't write much about your setup But i would start by checking this.
    Is the different acpi modes enabled in your bios?
    Second test the different "sleep" modes to find out which your mobo have implemented.
    - off
    - suspend
    - mem
    - standby

Code
    rtcwake -m [type of slepp mode] -s 300

The mode that makes ytour mobo go off and wake again is the modes that your mobo supports

• Sorry for the lack of details.

HP Proliant n54l standard box (AMD Turion II Model Neo x64, 2GB ddr3 ECC, 3x4TB hdds RAID5, NC107i nic)
    I've already followed the rtcwake guide and tried all the "sleep" modes, but the machine does not shutdown/sleep.
    RTC0 is used with no warnings.

rtcwake run as root.

Using the OMV shutdown power scheduling works as stated.

Thanks again for any help.

• Are you running OMV default kernel or the Backports kernel (3.2.xx.xx)?
    If acpi is enabled this box should support at lest sleep modes "mem" and "standby" on backports.

You are sure have ACPI enabled in bios setup. You could try to reset bios to default - be aware that this will reset other settings you have made.

To see supported acpi sleep mpodes you can as root type:

Code
    cat proc/acpi/wakeup

This will show which acpi sleep states are enabled with current bios setup and kernel version.

• OMV default kernel.
    mem, standby or off not working.
    No option in bios for ACPI that I can find.

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup:

Device S-state Status Sysfs node
    PCE2 S4 disabled
    PCE3 S4 disabled
    PCE4 S4 disabled
    PCE5 S4 disabled
    PCE6 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:06.0
    PCE7 S4 disabled
    PCE9 S4 disabled
    PCEA S4 disabled
    PCEB S4 disabled
    PCEC S4 disabled
    SBAZ S4 disabled
    P0PC S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.4
    PE20 S4 disabled
    PE21 S4 disabled
    PE22 S4 disabled
    PE23 S4 disabled

I guess this means there is no support :( I may look to see if there's a modified bios that adds support as I'm currently using the latest official bios.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Mike.

• Every bios after about year 2000 should have some sort of acpi wake support. I think this is a matter of setting the rights bios options.

There is a bios setting that should be named something like "bios wakeup through rtc". The setting should be under the bios Power management menu.
    The setting should be something about the bios being able to wake the mobo at a specific time. This setting locks the rtcwake settings to the bios so they are not usable from for the OS. You must set this feature to "off" before you can get rtcwake to work.

In dmesg you can se what the OS detects about acpi sleep modes. Try this before and after changing bios settings to see what happens from the OS perspective:

Code
    dmesg | grep rtc

and upgrade your bios to the newest release

• Zitat von "jensk"

Every bios after about year 2000 should have some sort of acpi wake support.[...]

Good Joke. Even my Asus Striker Extreme from 2007 (my Desktop Computer) doesn't support AHCI.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!