Drive letters have changed

• Hi,

I just set up my OMV5 on the Raspi4 with two disks. Since I had to unplug and replug them several times, it seems that they got assigned new drive letters.

The drive labeled "Filme" was on /sda once, and has now been assigned to /sdc. This has already been shared, but by Label.
    The second drive labeled "Serien" has been assigned to /sde. I tried to configure a shared folder for this drive, but failed with the following error:

How do I fix it? It seems that /sda is linked somewhere, but not found anymore... Can I manually rewrite in a specific file or maybe even manually change the drive letters for the drives? Also, why did they change in the first place, and how do I prevent that from happening?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Linux assign letters to drives as they are detected. It is normal for drives to get different letters depending on how many drives are connected and to what port. Especially USB drives. And perhaps also depending on how fast a drive spin up.

Use the path /srv/dev-disk-by-label-XXXXXXX

Or use the drive uuid.

As far as I know OMV doesn't care about the drive letters. It use the drive labels and uuid. Have you manually updated fstab or at any point used drive letters to specify drives?

• As far as I know OMV doesn't care about the drive letters. It use the drive labels and uuid. Have you manually updated fstab or at any point used drive letters to specify drives?

Yes, indeed, I have had problems creating an EXT4 filesystem on the second HDD. I have used fstab to try and clean up the structure or whatever OMV told me to do.

Also, after rebooting, the letters got reassigned, and the error is gone, since /sda1 exists again.

Nonetheless, creating the shared folders, I was never able to specify the drive letters, but instead browse to the /sharedfolders. Also, if I click "reset" in the shown menu, it fills in the "drive" field with the UUID, so I wonder what /sda1 is needed for in the place.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!