HDD spin down with RAID5 ?

• Hello together,

I'm new OMV user and have a lot tried before I used the software for production environment. In my lab I have set the spin down time for my harddrives and they has gone shutdown after the configured period of time. Now in my real environment the drives don't do it. Is it possible that the RAID5 configuration is responsible for that?

Also I have disconnect the network interface but the harddrives doesn't spin down.

Somebody an idea what I can additional try ?

thx
    Mario

• Did you use exactly the same harddrives in the lab and now in your production environment? I ask because there are issues with hdparm and some harddrive models, which simply ignore the hdparm settings. In that case using hd-idle instead of hdparm could be a possible solution: Guide: How-to setup 'hd-idle' (a HDD spin down SW) together with the OMV plugin 'Autoshutdown' in OMV 5.x

Is it possible that the RAID5 configuration is responsible for that?

No, normally a spin down should also work in a RAID configuration.

If you do have used the same harddrives for testing and production, there are some other reasons (cyclic active processes, regular snapshots...) which prevents the drive from spinning down.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hello Leo,

yes it is exactly the same hardware configuration. The only one difference is now the RAID5, one SMB-Share, a higher spin down time (60 min. instead of tested 10 min.) and the activated notification option. The latter I switched off again but there is no change. Because the spin down has worked before I don't think it is an general issue with the hdparm parameters.

thx
    Mario

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!