Greyhole problem, slow network transfer

• Ok, so cancelling the tasks seems to have stopped it chasing it's tail. However I still cannot get the system to do a file balance..
    I selected the 'Files balance' option from teh OMV plugin and it appears to have done nothing at all.. see log output below.

Code
    root@homeserver:~# greyhole --cancel-fsck
    All scheduled fsck tasks have now been deleted.
    Specific files checks might have been queued for problematic files, and those (fsck_file) tasks will still be executed, once other tasks have been processed.
    root@homeserver:~# greyhole -L
    Mar 08 21:01:40 INFO initialize: Cleaning executed tasks: keeping the last 60 days of logs.
    ^[OA^C
    root@homeserver:~# greyhole -S
    Greyhole daemon is currently stopped.
    root@homeserver:~#

greyhole -L cmd was issued before selecting 'files balance' in the OMV plugin.. left it for a while with nothing appearing to happen and then stopped the tail and issued -S to get the daemon stopped log

• Offizieller Beitrag

To start in the web ui, disable greyhole, save and apply. Then enable it, save and apply.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Apologies again for my lack of knowledge here..
    Ok, restarted the server and it's the 'lost' share that's causing the problem.. issued service start and then immediately -L and got what you see below..

Code
    root@homeserver:~# service greyhole start
    Starting Greyhole ... OK
    root@homeserver:~# greyhole -L
    Mar 08 21:21:13 CRITICAL fsck_file: Tried to fsck a share that is missing from greyhole.conf. Quitting.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Try:

omv-mkconfig greyhole

This will rewrite the config files. If it is fixed in the greyhole plugin samba tab, it should fix the config file.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, what you did is fine. What I typed is wrong :) Oops

omv-mkconf greyhole

• Ahhh, just found that in /usr/sbin but was dithering over whether to try it.. :)

Ok done that.. hasn't made any difference, Greyhole quits with the same error instantly.

Code
    root@homeserver:/# omv-mkconf greyhole
    # Stop Greyhole
    # Start/Enable Greyhole
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    Starting Greyhole ... OK
    root@homeserver:/# greyhole -L
    Mar 08 22:23:48 CRITICAL fsck_file: Tried to fsck a share that is missing from greyhole.conf. Quitting.
    ^C
    root@homeserver:/# greyhole -S
    Greyhole daemon is currently stopped.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What if you add the samba share under Samba back (temporarily)?

• Yeah I initially tried that once I realised what I had done.. When I removed the samba share initially I noticed a blank share in greyhole, realised what I'd done wrong and tried to delete the blank share in greyhole, it wouldn't let me do that so I readded the samba share and then tried to remove in from greyhole, it wouldn't let me do that either.. I then added the recreated share to greyhole and tried to delete both it and the blank share.. it was treating the new share as a seperate entity from the old one anf would delete the new share while ignoring the 'blank' one.
    Finally I went through smb.conf and greyhole.conf and removed references to the blank share which seemed to fix it, share was removed from the gui and everything seemed fine..
    But apparently not.. presumably there is somewhere else that the shares are referenced in relation to greyhole that I have missed or am not aware of.!?!?

• It's in the Greyhole MySQL database. Delete them by connecting to your MySQL (the username and password are in greyhole.conf, if you don't have a phpMyAdmin or similar installed). Then execute this:

SQL
    DELETE FROM greyhole.tasks WHERE action = 'fsck_file' AND share = 'Videos';
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Is there something I can add to the plugin to avoid this?

• Ryeco, when a share is deleted from the plugin something should be added so it is deleted from mysql also. MySQL would have to be logged into and command above run and populated with share name being deleted from Greyhole. Otherwise users would have to manually log into MySQL and run said command manually. Another option would be manually in SQLBuddy. These latter 2 manual solutions are ugly for novices.

• Ok, progress finally.. I ran a couple of queries on the SQL database and found thousands of references to the missing share. I had it delete all the ones referencing the fsck_file action and restarted greyhole.. it seems to be working on balancing the pool now from what I can tell of the log output. :D
    There were initially a whole bunch of instances in the log of it finding files in the share that no longer existed but it now skips those actions.. Unfortunately this problem predates all the file copying that I was doing earlier and so I presume there are close to 4TB of file checks and pool balancing that having been sitting queued and unable to run that are now running...

So sorry to have wasted everyone's time with my idiocy. Many many thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tekk, that wouldn't be a problem. It isn't hard to send a command to mysql as a specific user. I was just wondering if there was a way to avoid getting to that point. I will work on adding that to the plugin.

I need to figure out how to remove the share from greyhole (add fix mysql) when a samba share used by greyhole is deleted.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "H1ghland3r"

Would it possibly be easier to prevent a samba share from being removed if it is referenced in another plugin..?

That would require a change in OMV. The Greyhole plugin is notified when the samba share is modified/deleted. I just need to figure out how to change the plugin to deal with that notification.

• In that case I can't think of anyway to get the plugin to act preventatively in this case. The plug has no control over the status of samba I presume and is only informed of changes. Given that in this case the error had been ignored by the idiot at the keyboard (me) for such a long time that there were several thousand queued actions in the database causing the problem, in most cases I'd assume that there were either none at all or only a few if the plugin issues the SQL query to remove the fsck actions from the database for the removed share at the point that it is removed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!