Migrating from WHS2011 to OMV

• As of recent developments by Microsoft and current stabilty issues im now heavily considering migrating my WHS2011 box to OMV.

But I've run into a bigger issue over here, its that I roughly got 4,8TB of Movies/Series and whatnot on my NTFS drives (5x2TB disks, diskpooled with Stablebit Drivepool)

So to all you techies out there, what would be the sanest and most reasonebl approach regarding migrating of my library

Im currenly low on money so buying a few new drives isnt an option atm

Thanks, Joel

• Well, if money is an issue then I'm afraid that this will be very difficult to pull off. You need to transfer all the date to another drive or server, the OMV installation and RAID initialization are pretty destructive. If you have a friend that has a big hard drive or server, transfer the data there. Sorry, there's just no other way with the source having an NTFS file system.

• You may consider to purchase a disc on amazon and move data and after migration, move them back to disk. I think that it was that such large costs if that is 1-2 days

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Zitat

But I've run into a bigger issue over here, its that I roughly got 4,8TB of Movies/Series and whatnot on my NTFS drives (5x2TB disks, diskpooled with Stablebit Drivepool)

I am not familiar with Stablebit Drivepool, but my understanding is that it does not use a RAID-style configuration where data is either striped or mirrored across all drives. Instead it just pieces multiple drives together using normal NTFS partitions.

Assuming your drives are essentially being used in a JBOD fashion, I had a situation similar to yours. I was using two NTFS formatted drives to store my media library on a Windows 7 machine, 1TBx1 and 2TBx1. I had more than 2TB of total data so it was not possible to temporarily move everything to one drive and reformat. What I did at first was to simply mount my NTFS drives inside OMV. In this way, it is possible to transplant drives with existing data to an OMV server. You will, of course, not be able to use mdadm for RAID but everything else should be functional. The biggest downside is that NTFS is not a native file system and, as a result, you will suffer high CPU usage during disk I/O.

I have since gotten a second 2TB drive (used as a parity drive with Snapraid) and moved enough data around so I could reformat my drives one by one. Using ext4 has significantly improved performance compared to NTFS. If I understand your WHS2011 setup correctly, you may want to consider using Greyhole as a similar way to pool your drives. There is a plugin available for OMV which greatly simplifies the process. I searched online to find out how to scan drives for pre-existing files (Greyhole considers these "orphaned" files). Using Snapraid along side of Greyhole allows me to easily add/remove drives of arbitrary size to my drive pool and also to have RAID-like fault tolerance to protect from either data or a drive going bad. All of this, and my data lives as regular files on a single partition for each physical disk. This allows the drives to be used outside of the server if one were to need to recover files, re-install OMV, transplant the drives w/data again, etc.

It sounds like you may be able to just mount your drives as they are. My suggestion would be to move data off of at least one drive so you can reformat/migrate your data to an ext4/ext3 file system and take it from there...HTH

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!