Unable to enable iSCSI

• New OMV user here. I've been searching around and hoping to find a different NAS solution that I've never used.

Anyway, I've come across OMV and am really liking it so far. My question here is obviously regarding the iSCSI plugin. I've installed the plugin, but I'm unable to even enable the service.

Mind you..this is a fresh install. So, I've wiped a 500GB drive that I can use as testing for iSCSI storage. Before even configuring Incoming/Outgoing, shouldn't I be able to at least enable the service? I can configure a target just fine, selecting the device as the 500GB drive, users, etc.

When I go to enable service and apply the settings, I keep getting this error message:

Zitat

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'iscsitarget' start 2>&1': Starting iSCSI enterprise target service:FATAL: Module iscsi_trgt not found. failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript iscsitarget, action "start" failed.

Details:

And I get this same error whether anything is configured in iSCSI or not.

Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have the backports 3.16 kernel installed?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nope. Is that a requirement for iSCSI plugin to function properly? Is it a relatively simple process to convert to that kernel, or is it quite involved? I only recently downloaded the latest stable version from the website.

SysInfo - Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. iscsi doesn't work with the 3.16 last time I tried. I would install the build-essential package and linux headers for the 3.2 kernel. Then purge the plugin and try reinstalling.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I removed the plugin, installed build-essential & linux headers for my kernel, and I'm now receiving this when trying to install the plugin. Wth (i did reboot the PC)?

It's not a big deal as I can just reinstall from scratch...but still think that's odd those 2 groups of packages borked the iSCSI plugin, ya know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let me setup a VM tomorrow morning to see if I can figure something out. I know I have got it working before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got it working on a fresh VM. Try this:

apt-get purge iscsitarget
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get clean
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
    apt-get install openmediavault-iscsitarget

Then enable the plugin. Check to see if the iscsi_trgt module is loaded with: lsmod | grep iscsi

• Tried that too, but I believe that this plugin is actually not ready for production. This morning I started to install iscsi on my testlab, I have a virtualized OMV box running and can go back to a snapshot in seconds.
    At first I run into the same error (FATAL: Module iscsi_trgt not found. failed!) and after looking into the error protocol I saw that it complained about missing kernel headers.
    So I installed them with the same command, but only without build-essentials. I could start the service, but couldn't connect to the target from an ESXi host.
    Now I tried it again after reading aaron's post with build-essentials and can start the service again. Build a target and let the ESXi host connect. While connecting the kernel and syslogd were spitting out a lo of messages:

Hm. The target was detected, but unavailable. So I restarted the OMV box and got a hanging boot screen, see the screenshot attached (boot error).

Than I did a hard reset in the vSphere Client and to my surprise, after the machine came back the iscsi target was available on the ESXi host.
    But while I tried to mount this iscsi lun the vsphere client gut totally stuck and after a while an error message appeared on the OMV system screen (Attached, systemerror).

After that I tried to shut down the OMV box, but it is hanging again with the message "Removing iSCSI enterprise taget devices: :" and nothing happens.
    So there's no success in connecting to an iscsi device. Sorry.

Bilder

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Nice! That worked great! I honestly think manually installing it with 'apt-get install openmediavault-iscsitarget' solved the problem. Maybe there were dependencies that weren't getting installed when invoking the plugin install via WebUI? *shrug*

Note: running 'apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential' again only did a minor upgrade to my existing packages installed from the other day.

Either way, it's working perfectly now. Thank you for taking the time to resolve this for me, ryecoaaron. I heard the community for this project has great support, and I can definitely see why.

• From which device or OS do you connect to the iscsi lun?

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• From which device or OS do you connect to the iscsi lun?

I was only quickly testing the connection to a LUN, but I did it via Windows iSCSI initiator. I'm just happy I can finally enable the plugin. I was hoping to use OMV's iSCSI feature in a personal ESXi test lab.

• Some insights..... the kernel and syslogd messages from my post above appear only if I try to connect to the virtualized OMV box from the ESXi host the box is running on. It looks like this is not possible, although the box simply exposes it's iscsi services to the network, but the host cannot connect.
    Then I started the box with a former snapshot, installed it like aaron has posted and voila, I can connect to the iscsi share from a W2012R2 server and use the iscsi lun like any other iscsi device I am running here. That's good.

But when I try to connect from another ESXi host to this lun after disconnecting the win server, I do not get the iscsi lun. I can connect, it finds the correct iqn of the OMV box, but it doesn't get the iscsi lun, no path is available. That's weird.

• Yeeehaa, i made it. 8o

What a fight. It seems to be that the iscsitarget version which will be downloaded via apt-get still has a somehow persistant bug as described here:
    https://www.vaspects.com/2013/…crashes-linux-iscsi_trgt/
    But the ESXi versions 5.0 and 5.1 I have tested run into this bug, too. Forget my thoughts from my last postings, these kernel and syslogd messages will appear too while trying to connect from another ESXi host. I got two versions of errors: Either it doesn't find any iscsi target on the OMV box or it takes a long time until it times out and then the kernel messages appear on the screen.

Remember: Going the way like aaron has described above it is possible to connect to a iscsi target using the initiator on a Windows server. That works well.
    But it doesn't work if you try to connect from an ESXi host.

I found the solution here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877348

What I did to make it possible to connect from ESXi:

apt-get install devscripts equivs build-essential
    apt-get install iscsitarget 
    apt-get install iscsitarget-dkms

These next two steps are possibly not needed if there's another way to get the sources on the box, but
    I found it pretty convenient ;)
    apt-get install subversion
    svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/iscsitarget/code iscsitarget
    (Attention: This command puts the sources into a subdirectory named iscsitarget whereever you have started the command from. So it is a good idea to run that from a place like /home)

cd to iscsitarget/trunk
    make
    make install

configure the iscsi target as described here:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/usin…eeze-initiator-and-target
    reboot the box and try to connect from an ESXi host. I just did it and it was finished in a few seconds. I can mount the target as a data storage in the vSphere Client, put VMFS5 file system on it and use it like any other storage on this host.

This describes the manual way how to install iscsitarget on the OMV box, there's no tab in the web-gui. If you want to use it that way, you have to configure the iscsi targets manually from the CLI (Hint: That's easy if you use mc).
    But that's no hard work for the IT pros, there are basically two files to configure and this is not that much.

• In the next step I will try to add this patch with an installed OMV plugin to have full advantage of the web-gui configuration.

./edit: It looks like it is not possible to add the patch to an installed OMV plugin, it throws a lot of errors when I try to activate the plugin:

Ok. Was worth a try, aaron can possibly solve that.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von datadigger ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What did you patch in the plugin?

• What did you patch in the plugin?

I am not programmer enough to tell if this patches the plugin or the kernel....
    These are the sources for make and make install:
    https://svn.code.sf.net/p/iscsitarget/code/trunk/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, you just compiled a newer kernel module. The plugin must have code that doesn't work with the newer version. I've never used iscsi so I can't really help on this one.

• Aha. Thanks for the info. Although I can read source code and compose programs in VB I'm not that much of a programmer, I am some kind of a guy from the hands-on trenches. ;)

I wouldn't say that a iscsi plugin to which you can only connect from one OS world is useless, but I would call it incomplete. I don't know anything about future plans where OMV will go, but if it ever wants to leave the home NAS league a fully compatible iscsi plugin is somehow mandatory.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von datadigger ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!