Hello, Thanks and Questions

• Hello together,

since yesterday I am a user of this realy interesting project. For testing I made a build on VMWare on my main computer and until now I am very thrilled. So first of all: Thank you people which create this softwares and operating systems, you are the good guys :)

Until now I used 8) Windows 8):saint: on my server, since I also use it as a recording/streaming service via DVB-Viewer and for ... jdownloader. I don´t use Raids until now, but usually JBOD with 6 hdds and 1 ssd for the system, since I dont need filesafety and also I don´t want all hard disks to run while whatching one single movie (which I think would be the case on a Raid 5?). Server HW is a G1620 on a B75 pro3 M (asrock) Mainboard with 2x2gb Ram. perhaps I will switch to the Q2900M Mainboard with its very low TDP, die Q1900M I use for openelec.

So far one question is already made:
    - If I would set up a software Raid 5 with 5 (or 6) HDDs, would all discs run while streaming a movie to any client?
    - I am pretty sure I woll have more questions about installing TVheadend and a downloading tool, but first I will make some researche in the forum

Thanks so far,
    regards,
    Michael

• yes, found already snapraid, which also seems to be capable of handling different HDD sizes (which is the case in my server at the moment). I will make experiments with 5 virtual hdds different sizes and already filled with datas.
    Is OMV with snapraid (or even easier: while using single drives without any raid) able to handle NTFS disks? This would give me the chance to manage the data-files on a windows PC when something goes wrong with the OMV (I am not really experienced with linux oder command line

• Hi, NTFS isnt available while mounting a file system anyway...or I didnt see it :)
    Yesterday I made a VMware Setup with 4 hdds different sizes for snap raid (3 Data, 1 parity) und 2 single HDDs. All of them I shared via samba + the snapraid pool.

first impressions:
    - manipulated files (after synch) did not get repaired properly (videos had the correct file size, but werent able to get played, VLC showed error message)
    - I dont understand yet what the logic behind die pool is, I mean when and how it gets updatet to show all files of all pooled hdds
    - the handling of files, (organizing jdownloader, coping, unziping) is not as easy/comfortable as I can do it on a Windows Server via remotedesktop
    - the "How To"s for installing TVHeadend and DL tools seem to be a little bit to complicated (for me :P )

So far I think as a single DataServer without other purposes OMV with a real raid 5 is a fabulous system. But I will keep on testing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!