Speed up laptop by virtual machine on OMV

• My wife has an old Acer Aspire One 751h. WIth its Intel Atom processor it is not really powerfull and does not really benefit of 2GB of Ram. To not giving it to waste, I was thinking of running the OS in a virtual machine (VitualBox) on my HP ProLiant Microserver and connecting to it via WLan.

So I was looking for a tutorial to do so, but I was not able to find one suitable for me. So here my requirements:
    - running Win7 in a VM on the Server (therefore i can find tutorials)
    - at best a VNC-Only operating system to only connect to the VM needing as few CPU-power as possible.

The main purpose of this laptop is surfing. But running FIrefox or Chrome with more than 10 Tabs (online shopping) the laptop slows down and sometimes is not reacting for 30 seconds. I hope that with this setup I could make surfing more comfortable.

I am thankful for any information, tutorial or tips on how to improve the usability of the laptop.

• Does nobody have an idea how to realize this?

Application virtualisation is not a really new topic (Sandboxing etc). Is there no possibility to outsource it to an server? I think these Citrix-Client/Server-System is offering a similar service. Has anybody tried Citrix in a VM or align with Openmediavault?

Last chance to help me :P Otherwise I have to accept that there will be no way :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest method is using virtualbox. Otherwise, you could install firefox (iceweasel on Debian) and connect via ssh (putty and xming on Windows desktop). Have you tried running Linux on the laptop? There are plenty of Linux versions (puppy, lubuntu,etc) for slow processors and 2 gb is lots of memory for those distros.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!