Can you decrease the number of drives in a RAID 5 array?

• I am seriously considering switching to SnapRAID, but here is my problem. Most of my 2Tb drives are in use in my RAID 5 array. I have found this when I was Googling around. "In particular, before reducing the number of devices in a RAID5 or RAID6 you must first reduce the size of the array using the new --array-size= option to mdadm --grow. This truncates the array in a non-destructive way. You can check if the data that you care about is still accessible and then when you are sure, use mdadm --grow --raid-disks= to reduce the number of devices."
    Has anyone had any luck with doing this?

I currently have two 2Tb drives that I can move stuff on to and then drop the RAID size down and remove one drive. Wash, rinse and repeat. Is this plan feasible?
    Thanks!
    Ted

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would definitely test on a VM first. It would make me nervous doing this without backup.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!