What's wrong with my (new) disks?

• I've just setup a software raid 5 (4x 3TB HD) and formatted it with ext4.
    I've copied over about 2Tb of data and decided to sun a test.
    Writing speed is about 55MB where reading changes between 10 and 20MB.

According to the SMART info I have lot of read errors.

Please see image in attachment. Is this normal? Do you see anything strange in this screenshot?

All the 4 disks in the array have more or less the same values.

Thanks!
    rs232

• From my research, those drives seem well suited.

I think it is odd that multiple drives show the same errors.

knock on wood but so far my 2ea 2TB WD red NAS drives have escaped errors. I did have one of two drives DOA from newegg. But rma was ok.

good luck
    steve

• You should download the seatools and run the seagate tests against the drives, that will not delete any data, but will give you a clear statement if the drive has a problem or not.

It also can check the warranty for you.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Sprry to bring this topic up again ,but I'm still confused.

SMART is recording an unstoppable number of errors, but according to these pages:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/B…ek-error-rate/td-p/171140
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabk…Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html

this is a Samsung problem and very unlikely to be a real issue. (really sorry about the layout below)

If what stated in that link above is right perhaps OMV needs to interpret the values in a different way? Not sure...

Any input please? I'm trying to understand if I need to ask an RMA for all 4 disk or not, but how likely it is that all 4 disks have problems? I'm testing one disk with seatools as I write. I'm testing a second disk on a different system this afternoon.

• OMV does not interpret at all.

The numbers are vendor specific and also for most of them unknown in their meaning outside the vendors.

Sorry, that we cannot help here.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!