Diskless OMV for Transcoding Offload

• Hi, I have OMV doing a number of things on two other servers as it offers so many functions beyond its original goal. I have one of them running the Docker plugin with mythtv and would like to offload the commercial removal and other userjob tasks to another quad-core itx server however I would prefer to just have that server mount the recordings share from the server running mythtv and be able to run the cpu intensive transcoding type jobs. Since this new trans-coding server really doesn't need a disk, I was hoping that I can run it diskless from a USB (8GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-OO8G-B35) boot with the flashmedia plug-in. Would there be any downside to doing this as far as OMV is concerned?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, that will work.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just to provide some feedback. Although everything worked as expected and I was able to get the user job to run on the external server, I opted not to go with the approach as the nfs processes had high CPU usage on the mythtv back-end which was against the goal to begin with (i.e. have negligible CPU usage). This may probably work better if the storage has its own server where both mythtv and the trans-coding server would both then use. I don't think I would want to risk making the trans-coding server the storage server as the writes from mythtv may be affected when the trans-coding is being done.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!