Home NAS Advice

• Offizieller Beitrag

IPMI is nice in professional environments - but at home ? - takes also significant power... and $$

Significant power??? Do you have number to back that up? I can't imagine ipmi using more than a coupleof watts. It is definitely handy at home if you have a headless server. A lot of people on this forum don't have an extra monitor leave connected to their server. I can think of a large number of people on this forum who would've had their problem solved easily if they had ipmi. I absolutely love it at home.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks never heard of fujitsu boards. Noticed it had only one nic, compared to the Intel board. I've only heard good things about Ipmi, so hopefully yards not the case. I'm gonna see if I can get all the parts I need and and I'll list ASAP.

• Ok the build now:

CPU - Intel i3 6100 ($160 from MSY)
    MOBO - Intel S1200SPS ($255 from Megabuy)
    RAM - 2x 8GB Kingston DDR4 ECC ($160 from Megabuy)
    CASE - Fractal Design Define Mini (purchased off ebay for $70)
    PSU - Seasonic G-360W ($94 from Megabuy)
    Total $770 (including shipping of $30 from Megabuy)

The Intel board doesn't provide an mSATA or SATADOM connector, so I'll need to use a SATA connector and get a small SSD for the OS. It's a shame can't run OMV off a USB like you can with FreeNAS...

I also need to get some HDD's, I've got a WD 2TB RED NAS, but I'd like to get some bigger capacity ones. That's why I thought that SnapRAID was worth considering, as different sized drives wont' matter and they can be added donw the track.

Not cheap, but I guess this build will give enough power and flexibility for everything I want to try.

I was confused as to how many watts for the PSU. I believe 360 is enough, but I read a post somewhere that talked about 450watts...it's $40 more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That will be a nice system :)

You can run OMV from USB. Just make sure you use a new usb drive, install the flashmemory plugin, and clone it after major changes (or at least use the backup plugin).

360 W PSU is plenty. That system will be nowhere near 360 w.

• Zitat

Significant power...

ryecoaaron: here some idle power figures per server mainboard tested by C´t magazine
    Haswell
    P9D-I --> 18.4 watts
    X10SLM-F --> 17.8 watts
    Skylake
    Asus P10S-I --> 15 watts
    Supermicro X11SSL-F --> 13 watts
    Fujitsu D3417-B --> 8.7 watts (best I have seen so far... but only supports AMT)

config SSD to start but no disks

OMV 5 | 64 bit | backport kernels | latest omvextrasorg
    low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@techtom

If you take the Supermicro X11SSL-F and Fujitsu D3417-B, it isn't a good comparison if you look at the differences/features. They have different chipsets (C232 vs C236), 3 NICs vs 1 NIC, and the fujitsu board doesn't seem to have onboard video (Fujitsu relies on cpu while Supermicro has ASPEED AST2400 BMC). If you are just looking for the lowest power draw, fine.

That said, we did some tests as well and found ipmi to use about 4 watts. At $0.25 per kW (way more than I pay but probably what european costs are), that is about $9 a year. Obviously moving from haswell to skylake is a big power savings but I bet you don't see that running Linux (yet). I still say it is well worth the $9 and not a significant cost.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• yes, indeed I was looking for lowest possible idle power... to get as close as to ARM based NAS.

May 2014 - Haswell desktop board --> 12 watts - OMV idle/ 3x4TB disks spun down
    Low-Power-but-High-Performance-Haswell-based-OMV-NAS

March 2016 - Skylake server board with ZFS --> 14 watts - OMV idle/ 3x4TB disks spun down (opt still ongoing)
    Erasmus-Low-Power-ZFS-NAS-based-on-Skylake-Fujitsu-D3417-B

low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If saving energy is the primary goal, why not use SSDs for storage? Idle power is great but do you ever look at power consumption spinning up that array?

• agree that SSD is an option which mainly delivers instant I/O performance with increasing price performance ratio. Capacity wise there is still a gap.
    The investigations mentioned were about lowest possible idle power based on the used underlying chipset/CPU generation and how low this can go in Linux/OMV. Quite impressive compared to times before IvyBridge. Everybody who has some older servers can measure and calculate energy savings, which might be remarable depending on the use case. Also to keep the tests comparable I decided to use same hard disk setup.Would be nice to see if other config with SSDs could go lower power and what the tweaks were to enable this. Skylake support is even in 4.4. Kernel far from reaching same maturity that was reached in Haswell - still lots of ACPI warinings - but we will get there ;)

• Well, I was distracted with other things for a while, but I think I'll pair this back for the home setting. Since I'm really interested in trying OMV with SnapRAID, I think I can probably live without ECC RAM and dual NICs probably aren't vital either. Porbably worth putting that money towards getting a second USB drive for backup instead. So then:

CPU - Intel i3 6100 ($160 from MSY)
    MOBO - ASUS B150-PLUS ($135 from MSY, has onboard Intel NIC and 6 SATA3)
    RAM - 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2100 ($100 from MSY)
    CASE - Fractal Design Define Mini (purchased off ebay for $70)
    PSU - Seasonic SS-350GT ($74 from PLE, cheaper version of the 80GOLD SS)
    Total ~$550 (including shipping of $13 from PLE)

I have a 2TB WD RED NAS and was thinking of getting a couple more for now just to see how I go, but probably bigger ones. With SnapRAID I can get 2x3TB drives and then I should have 5TB usable storage (if one of the 3TB is redundancy) and then later I could get another 3TB and that would increase to 8TB right?

Does anyone see anything obviuosly wrong with parts I've decided on? I've gone in circles a few times, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and give it a go. As I said, I think something basic will do and probably just look at a coupe of USB drives for backup of the vital data since I've gone away from ZFS and ECC option. I think the RAM I've chosen should be decent enough, and hopefully the CPU/RAM combo and Intel NIC will give enough performance for my household.

cheers,
    gabs

PS I just want to get this thing on the road, I'm struggling with my current old media centre box and copying data from machine to machine all the time...need to improve the WAF!

• Ok, finally got my parts and put them together last night. Still waiting on my Disks though.

I ended up getting only 2x4GB of ValueRAM, hopefully that will be enough to start with. What an upgrade from my old Dell Dimension, so much quieter, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Unfortunately, it's been a bit slow getting it up an running today though. Unetbootin didn't work when I downloaded the 2.1 ISO, asking for a CD ROM. So I used Win32DiskIMager instead and all good. However, two stumbling blocks now. The ethernet card was not detected, and when I choose e1000e from the list (Intel I219V) it doesn't appear to work. I could try to find a spare ethernet card, but have I done something stupid here?

Other issue, is that it's saying to put Boot Loader on a HDD. I don't have any installed yet, and tryign to install OMV to a 32GB USB drive instead...I thought that would be ok? Should I get one of my HDD's installed.

Any help appreciated.

• 8 gigs of ram should be fine.

Put in the PCI or PCIe card to get it working. After you install OMV install OMV Extras. There is a button in OMV Extras to install the backport kernel. See if that gets your onboard NIC working. If it does you are good if not I think Aaron has a script you can use.

@ryecoaaron

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need a working internet connection to use the script.

wget http://omv-extras.org/intel.sh
    chmod +x intel.sh
    ./intel.sh

• Thanks. Ok, so the spare network card worked a treat. But I was still blocked by the GRUB Loader. In the end, I read a post whre someone said to take teh USB drive out and retry, Install GRUB Loader option; that worked for me and seemed so simple! I'm not sure why it can't be an option to ask which drive to install the GRUB loader?

I've updated all packages.
    I've changed the webadmin password.
    I've started FTP, SMB, SSH, Antivirus services.
    I've installed OMV Extras.
    Installed backport kernel.
    Installed a bunch of other plugins to see what they are.

Strangely, tried using putty and can't seem to SSH to the box? Keeps saying Access Denied, but I'm sure I logged in with the same root password and it was fine. Will have to try again later, but otherwise I'm stumped why putty isn't working? SSH service is enabled and allows root login.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Create a user and add that user to the ssh group. Try to login with that user.

• Thanks, figured out the problem; one of the keys on the keyboard wasn't the same thing as I was pressing. Dodgy old keyboard...

That's done, so now just need to figure out how to change the network interface to use eth1 (onboard) instead of eth0 (spare)? I am trying to figure out where to change the settings, I added the interface in the web portal but couldn't find a setting for default interface?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Default interface for??

• Yep, silly question. When I plugged the network cable into the onboard NIC and restarted, OMV picked it and assigned an IP address.
    Excellent, all I did was hit the Backport Kernel install and it just picked up the driver and then all I needed to do was plug the cable into that port. And OMV now says to connect to the web portal via eithter IP address, so that's cool.
    Ok, now that that's done, my aim is:
    - get the flash memory plugin working
    - install the linux drivers for my DVR card
    - install a DVR backend, probably try TV Head End

• Ok, I've put my HDD's in, and I'm pretty disappointed by the performance of the SMB shares. When I use my laptop, I'm copying at 3MB/s over wifi!! That can't be right?

I haven't tested the speed to a fixed network port, but I added the shares into my Media Centre, and it's really slow to scroll through photos/videos. Am I doing something wrong, how can I find the bottleneck? My router has Intel gigabit ports, my NAS has an Intel gigabit port, my Media center would be 10/100 and the wifi is probably the flakiest part as it's just a dodgy 11g card, but I stream HD on it fine.

EDIT: Just checked, and from my MCE it transfers files around 10MB/s, seems slow, but I guess that's limited by the 100Mbps LAN port?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!