OpenMediaVault NAS / General questions

• Hi,

I would like to set up a NAS server for mainly : data storage, ftp server, multimedia streaming...maybe a web server.

So I read for hours about FreeNAS, Ubuntu Server etc and OpenMediaVault seems to be the one that is promising, even if it has not yet a large community around it. However I'd like to give it a try.
    So since it's based upon Debian, I've got some questions. I'm starting in the Linux and networking fields so the answers of some of my questions may be obvious for some of you and I'm sorry for that.

So,

1) When installing OMV, can we do it over an existing distrib or it has to be installed like any other distrib?
    2) When it is installed, can we access all the services via SSH or things have to be done via web GUI?
    3) Can I access remotely via SSH and start a P2P download (or any download) to the server for instance?
    4) Why go for an all in one package instead of installing services separately to do the job (samba, ftp etc.)

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - You can install OMV 2.x over an existing Debian Wheezy install only. You can install OMV 3.x over an existing Debian Jessie install only.

2 - Depends on your skill level. OMV just writes the config files. If you edit those from the command line and then edit in the web interface, it will overwrite your command line changes.

3 - OMV is Debian. If you can do it in Debian, you can do it in OMV.

4 - I don't understand the question. Sounds you are asking why use OMV instead of configuring the services manually? OMV makes it easy. I know how to configure the services I use but it is faster and easier with OMV.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

small ssds are pretty cheap. So, not a waste of money unless you already have a sata drive.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!