My sytem keeps killing my WD Reds

• Offizieller Beitrag

And why didn't you tell me earlier?!?! It would have saved me a lot of time and nerves (do you say that in english

You didn't say it was cheap backplane or post a pic until yesterday :) Hard to tell if it is a bad design until you see it in person sometimes too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You didn't say it was cheap backplane or post a pic until yesterday :) Hard to tell if it is a bad design until you see it in person sometimes too.

True...

What cases do you guys use for your servers/NAS?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

What cases do you guys use for your servers/NAS?

I just built a new server using a Rosewill Challenger case with my existing two Icy Dock 4 Bay hotswap and one Vantec enclosures. The case has four 3.5" hard drives and 10 2.5" SSDs in it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Wow, looks like a powerful rig! But FAR beyond MY needs (fotos, music, some movies/TV shows and some personal files like phone backups etc.)... I don't even use 20% of my 4TB :)

I guess all your drives are connected directly to your motherboard (no PCB)?
    What board do you use to run 14 HDDs? And why this - how do you know it's reliable/energy saving/whatever?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• I guess all your drives are connected directly to your motherboard (no PCB)?

Yes all my HDDs are connected to your motherboard or SATA expansion cards.

What board do you use to run 14 HDDs? And why this - how do you know it's reliable/energy saving/whatever?

You can always get a motherboard with that number of SATA connectors from ASRock. Acually ASRock can even get you an ITX board with an Atom processor and 12 SATA connectors, so basically nothing is impossible.

OP based on your needs I would recommend Cooler Master Elite 130 and FD Node 304, if you are looking for a new case

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess all your drives are connected directly to your motherboard (no PCB)?

Just the boot drive is connected to the motherboard. All the other drives are connect to two LSI raid cards.

What board do you use to run 14 HDDs?

I have a Asrock Rack EPC612D8 with an E5-2620v4

And why this - how do you know it's reliable/energy saving/whatever?

It runs proxmox and I have lots of VMs. Pulls about 140 watts when I am using it lightly.

• You can always get a motherboard with that number of SATA connectors from ASRock. Acually ASRock can even get you an ITX board with an Atom processor and 12 SATA connectors, so basically nothing is impossible.

Good to know - I will keep ASUS in mind when planning another system - especially now I know that ryecoaaron mentioned ASUS as well

OP based on your needs I would recommend Cooler Master Elite 130 and FD Node 304, if you are looking for a new case

Yeah, these two cases are the ones I found too when doing some research for alternatives. But I will give my direct-wiring-omitting-the-PCB solution a try first ^^

Just the boot drive is connected to the motherboard. All the other drives are connect to two LSI raid cards.

Yeah, sure, I completely forgot about hardware-RAID-solutions X/

It runs proxmox and I have lots of VMs. Pulls about 140 watts when I am using it lightly.

WTF - 140W?!? I guess that's the only heating you need... :D
    But I guess you use your system to earn money - mine is "only" a freetime-family-stuff-project.

But it was very interesting to hear about other's hardware with a more serious background!

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

WTF - 140W?!? I guess that's the only heating you need

Actually it is quite efficient. 140 watts isn't much considering how much hardware is in the box and it serves a lot of purposes. Quite a few of those purposes are OMV plugin development related and not paid though. My old server had 20 spinning disks and used almost 100 more watts. I also have replaced every light in my house with an LED fixture. Dropped my power bill 20% in the last year.

• I know what you mean and in relation to what you can do with it might not be much. Especially when there are some graphic cards burning something about 300-500W...

I estimate my system's consumption is about 20-30W which is imo already too much. Most of the time it is running without being used: Our music is meanwhile delivered mostly from Spotify and our videos from Amazon Prime (our internet connection was boosted to 25MBit a couple of months ago).

I marked this thread as "Solved" now - I hope I won't have to reopen it ever again ;)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!