Plex/NFS/Samba rights problem

• Hi All, I have a large media collection on OMV with the plexmedia plugin.
    all directories under the media library show as 2755 and all files 0644
    On OMV the owner shows as plex, users for all files and directories

on my ubuntu clients, i map both nfs and cifs shares.
    home, media, etc as NFS with full r/w
    samba media as CIFS as ro

I run Kodi on the client and connect via samba for direct play or whatever its called.

I have a strange rights problem i don't understand.
    some files play and others don't - kodi logs show a rights problem for the ones that don't

if i use VLC on the client to play the files over cifs or nfs. the ones that don't play give the error of insufficient rights
    If right view the rights from the client side (nfs) , it shows the owner as saned (i note the plex userid on omv = saned userid on the client side i.e. 113)

I can't understand why half the files don't seem to recognise the permissions under either samba or nfs

from a windows client the files not player via vlc show the error "bad file descriptor"

p.s. for the avoidance of doubt, the files play from the browser.

thanks for your help

• i really don't understand. If i look at the permissions from a windows client
    SERVER\users has RO on the good files and no permissions on the bad ones.

but the owners show as plex:users for both types and the permissions as 644 for both types

so it seems the Samba and NFS clients get confused
    -------------
    if i change owner to;
    me:me - all files are readable from nfs client with me as user
    me:users - all files are readable from nfs client with me as user
    plex:users - some files are readable and some not from nfs client with me as user

• What filesystem do you use where the media is stored ?

Did you install plex when all media was allready on the filesystem ? Or is it with newer files ?

Did you try #chmod -R 644 /diryourmedia/* ? (or chmod -R 755) Just to be sure, you could go for 666 or 777 for a test, don't forget to recurse

Make sure your users are in sync on all you linux devices.

• hi, it seems to be the newer material that is suffering this problem.
    the media is stored on ext4

I have now aligned the GID and UID between the server and the ubuntu client, to try and get nfs working first.

with the nfs share mounted on my client, do don't see any difference between the two example files: -
    Bad file
    Owner: plex r/w ; Group: Users r/o; Access: none r/o (from linux nfs mount - mint nemo)
    from ssh: -rw-r--r--+ 1 plex users

from windows client, it shows no permissions under myserver\users

Good file
    Owner: plex r/w ; Group: Users r/o; Access: none r/o (from linux nfs mount - mint nemo)
    from ssh: -rw-r--r--+ 1 plex users

from windows client, it shows r/o under myserver\users

• Had some progress. run getfacl and discovered they had different ACLs, despite the user/group being the same.
    Used the Reset ACLs from the share menu, which set everything to root and changed the owner to plex:users, that part of the problem is solved.

I still have some issues that i need help on.

NFS - i want to map a share to the client, so that that anything i write to the server will be with the owner plex:users

auto.nfs
    media -fstype=nfs4,rw,auto,timeo=14,intr,iocharset=utf8,uid=113,gid=100 mynas:/mynas_media/

I can write to the drive, but it still makes me the owner of the file and not the plex user.

can someone tell me what i am doing wrong pls

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!