Going to use RAID 6. Do I have this right?

• What you're describing is something of a "serialistic support nightmare".

Just reality when you're doing such stuff for a living ;)

My conclusion: Stop dealing with this part directly. We cooperate now with partners that sell a lot more RAIDs and focus on three vendors. One relies on Infortrend (and EasyNAS in the meantime), the other uses stock SuperMicro gear combined with Open-E (this rocks, ZFS on Linux clusters, somewhat expensive configs with zmirrors shared accross at least two cluster nodes but insanely high IO performance, both sequential and especially random IO).

These guys ran in all possibles troubles already somewhere else and are the ones who tell you stuff like 'don't use these HDDs with this firmware version unless you adjust this hidden setting on the controller to this undocumented value since otherwise everything will fail after n hours of operation'.

IMO you need either a lot of experiences with the RAID implementation you use (includes hardware and software) or you test through every situation you can imagine (most probably you can not as novice). Or you skip the whole idea and focus on backup strategies instead :)

And again: it's only about availability so unless you run a business or have to serve small children the redundant RAID modes are useless anyway ;)

• Just wanted to thank everyone again. I'm guessing I already know this answer, but if let's say I have to re-install OMV, I should be able to just re-mount the pool right?

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just wanted to thank everyone again. I'm guessing I already know this answer, but if let's say I have to re-install OMV, I should be able to just re-mount the pool right?

Yes. A remount should do it.

While I'm not sure of this yet (I'm actually doing the same thing myself - a full rebuild using an existing data drive) you may have to reset permissions so that the new root user becomes the owner of the remounted folders. There's a plugin for that called openmediavault-resetperms .

If you have plugins that create system users (such as UrBackup) it may be necessary to reinstall them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We cooperate now with partners that sell a lot more RAIDs and focus on three vendors. One relies on Infortrend (and EasyNAS in the meantime), the other uses stock SuperMicro gear combined with Open-E (this rocks, ZFS on Linux clusters, somewhat expensive configs with zmirrors shared accross at least two cluster nodes but insanely high IO performance, both sequential and especially random IO).
    These guys ran in all possibles troubles already somewhere else and are the ones who tell you stuff like 'don't use these HDDs with this firmware version unless you adjust this hidden setting on the controller to this undocumented value since otherwise everything will fail after n hours of operation'.

That stuff can be maddening.
    Back when I was involved Enterprise Networking (primarily) and Computing (secondary), just the errata on Cisco equipment and the evolving IOS versions was hard to keep up with. On the other hand, I had to give them credit, they were good and very granular in their support if something truly weird was encountered.
    "In this scenario, you can't use this box unless you use this IOS version, with option A. If option a is enabled; only 2 of the possible 4 virtual router interfaces can be used on the first switch card."
    Some of Cisco's first 6509's had router AND switch IOS running side by side, in the same box, AND they didn't do much to try to hide (abstract) the ATM switch fabric on the backplane. I loved that shxx back then but it was over the top.

However, what you described before would be like using Cisco Equipment, Juniper boxes and 3 Com, with multiple protocols and sub-versions, with little to no OEM support. In a word "crazy". There's a lot to be said for standardizing on quality OEM's and a narrowed equipment focus. Even at that, as you've described above, it's not "easy".

• Yes. A remount should do it.
    While I'm not sure of this yet (I'm actually doing the same thing myself - a full rebuild using an existing data drive) you may have to reset permissions so that the new root user becomes the owner of the remounted folders. There's a plugin for that called openmediavault-resetperms .

If you have plugins that create system users (such as UrBackup) it may be necessary to reinstall them.

Thanks so much :D

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• However, what you described before would be like using Cisco Equipment, Juniper boxes and 3 Com, with multiple protocols and sub-versions, with little to no OEM support.

This also pretty much sums up what's happening when novices take a PC, a bunch of HDDs and start to play RAID. This alone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control can be a show stopper but how many people know about or take care? How to test for this?

Anyway: I'm pretty sure I won't make my point so giving up now (the point is that assembling random components to a RAID requires an insane amount of testing to be sure that the R in RAID really protects against all possible scenarios why you started to think about RAID in the first place. And a typical novice doesn't know most of these scenarios... yet)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!