Virtalbox Problems: Can*t start VM

• if I reinstall OMV what will happen with my union filesystem (pool)? If I create it exactly the same way as the old was, will it be in place again?
    Do I have to create al Shared Folders again, will there also be no lost of my storage/files?

Do I have to save any config files? also especially for plex?

I'm a litte bit scared of losing all of my data (my pooling, snapraid, and shared folders)

• Offizieller Beitrag

if I reinstall OMV what will happen with my union filesystem (pool)? If I create it exactly the same way as the old was, will it be in place again?

I've said this a million times but a unionfilesystem just works on top of other filesystems. The pool isn't a filesystem. Reinstalling won't affect anything with it.

Do I have to create al Shared Folders again, will there also be no lost of my storage/files?

Yes but the folders will still be on the drives. You just need to select them. As for loss, you shouldn't lose anything but don't you have backup?

Do I have to save any config files? also especially for plex?

None of the OMV config files will help. They are recreated when you reconfigure. No idea about plex.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your answers.

Yes I have a backup. I'm using omv-backup 3.6 to backup my OS. But what I dont understand, if the OS Hdd crashed, how can I restore it from the backup. Could you please help?

many thanks for your support!

Christian

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what I dont understand, if the OS Hdd crashed, how can I restore it from the backup. Could you please help?

Backup a live system

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Did you ever get this fixed Capone?

I am currently having the same issues, have tried upgrading to lastest OMV (4.1.7) and uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin but can't acctually get any VMs to start, have tried both windows and linux, both 32 and 64bit.

Any help would be great as this is most frustrating.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried myself 2 days agao. Virtualbox dont start at all even on a clean/1st install of OMV4.

With an existing VM? Because it is working on my test machine with new VMs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry to say but all my VMs are now in Esxi. And wont be back...

I can't replicate your problem but ESXi is a better choice anyway.

• I can't replicate your problem but ESXi is a better choice anyway.

No hard feeling I still enjoy OMV for share files, Plex and others.... Just for VM I need something else (spend 3 full days to recover from backup is not very fun!).

I use OMV for so many years and installed it 50 times ! And Virtualbox always serve very well....

• OK, thanks for the input guys. From this and other threads it sounds like there is something low level going wrong with VB on some systems and the plugin won't be fixed anytime soon (if at all), which is understandable if the problem can't be replicated and the move is towards docker anyway...

So, next question then, can esxi (or similar) be installed on omv (easily, I'm not too hot on Linux) or would I be better off putting OMV as a VM on a baremetal esxi installation? I want to be able to sparodically run a couple of other vms, both Linux and windows and be able to access them remotely over vpn but only have 8GB memory...

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, thanks for the input guys. From this and other threads it sounds like there is something low level going wrong with VB on some systems and the plugin won't be fixed anytime soon (if at all), which is understandable if the problem can't be replicated and the move is towards docker anyway...

I would fix the plugin if it was causing the problem. This is something with the individual systems and/or virtualbox that I can't replicate. So, I don't know what to tell people to fix. Moving to docker usually doesn't help since a lot of people are running Windows in the VM.

can esxi (or similar) be installed on omv (easily, I'm not too hot on Linux)

No. You can install ESXi on the machine and install OMV in a virtual machine on ESXi.

• sorry, that wasn't meant in an accusatory way, you provide amazing support to all the users of this forum. I was more meaning that as it seems to only be affecting a small number of users and elsewhere this plugin is being referred to as abandoned, it is unlikely to be fixed.

That's what I thought about esxi, I have a new ssd that I haven't started using yet so will do some testing with that, see if I can get it to do what I need...

Thanks for the help again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

sorry, that wasn't meant in an accusatory way, you provide amazing support to all the users of this forum. I was more meaning that as it seems to only be affecting a small number of users and elsewhere this plugin is being referred to as abandoned, it is unlikely to be fixed.

I didn't take it that way :) I have tried to abandon this plugin but it isn't working. I have actually spent too much time on it lately trying to figure out why people are having problems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!