I am setting up a new Odroid HC1 with a HDD and I need advice regarding BTRFS file system.
My use case is this:
I backup my laptop weekly on a QNAP NAS and I want the QNAP NAS backed up on the Odroid HC1.
The Odroid will be in another location, connecting to QNAP through OpenVPN.
I would prefer, if possible, to have snapshots on Odroid.
My dilemma is what filesystem to choose for the Odroid disk: EXT4 or Btrfs ?
I'm leaning towards btrfs, because it has checksums and snapshots.
But I have a few questions regarding Btrfs :
1. does it really support checksums and snapshots on Odroid HC1?
2. If Odroid breaks, am I able to read the disk in another linux box and copy the data from it ?
3. How would I set up notifications for data corruption, disk problems ?
4. I have read on this forum that the file system can get corrupted beyond repair if the power goes down during write (because some USB controllers will report data being written to disk when it is in fact not). Is this a deal breaker? I don't plan on using an UPS.
5. how would I configure weekly snapshots for Btrfs ?
Thank you in advance for your help
My setup is :
Linux odroid 4.14.111-odroidxu4 #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 8 17:30:01 CEST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux