So building a new NAS and would like some advice!
Reason: Like a new project and challenge. But overall data storage is not very convenient in my old setup. Have HDD's with a total of about 10TB.
Also have some issues, so I might need to make some new threads for that...
* I'm a Linux novice, but with google being my friend I usually get my challenges fixed. And this great forum on OMV!!! (Have spent some hours reading sort of speak, also regarding the following "To look into" ...)
I would like to use OMV5.x to be updated (and future proof?), if any strong arguments against I'd really like to know!
First of all I know UEFI and GPT has it's benefits, don't know if that is the case for Linux at the moment. My data disks are GPT with (single) ext4 partition.
Also I'm not a fan of RAID, but am considering it because a 2TB HDD can become full quick sometimes. Especially the 750GB HDD's.
For now: Going to use 4 HDD's from old setup (2x2TB and 2x1,5TB) with SSD for boot. Installed OMV5.05 and updated it (clean install) in UEFI and SSD as GPT.
Issues / advice would be appreciated:
- For some reason WOL does not work, still need to check some settings (can this be Linux / kernel related?). Can try a quick Win10 install to make sure if needed.
- RAID advice in my case.
- Cold boot takes a long time (3+mins) for webgui to come up (502 Bad Gateway). When resume from standby (from usb at the moment) not this issue.
- When shutting down / reboot (sometimes?) a stop job is running for Run anacron jobs (1,5min).
Last two might be related, is it helpful to upload logs?
- OMV-Extras >> Docker (haugene/transmission-openvpn and linuxserver/plex at the moment...) and some build-in extensions.
- Goals/to look into:
- Make files accessible from outside LAN
- Remote access web-interface OMV and haugene/transmission-openvpn
- Security wise: Most data is media and not that important, but don't like easy access LAN (and device's in it)
- My modem does not support VPN and for now I don't want to invest in a good router
- RAID or not (all disk, or a few in striping and separate backups for important data)
- WOL from outside LAN by logging into modem/router (supported), but is it secure?"(Also setup DynDNS, and does it work together with Guide for Setting Remote Management)
- Power management (HD-IDLE/auto-shutdown/advanced power management in storage->disks)
- ASUS F2A85-m LE
- AMD A8 5600K
- 80GB SSD (old Intel SATA-300) as system disk
- 2 x 2GB RAM
- 2 x 2TB HDD's
- 2 x 1,5TB HDD's
- 2 x 750GB HDD's
- 2 x 750GB 2,5" HDD's
- Be quit! Pure Power 11 500W CM (new)
- Fractal Design Node 804 (new)
Will do some testing for myself the next few days, but think I need some help...