RAID5 Grow (failed?) - device removed??!

• Hey!

I tried to grow my RAID5 with the built-in grow function. It took around 16-17 hours and now the RAID is just clean, degraded. (http://d.pr/i/qbFr) ... it states now the 7,28TB (instead of 5,4TB before). But ...

Last time I did this there was in the last row a "faulty spare". So /dev/sdb is the added HDD for the RAID5: http://d.pr/i/5STZ

I already clicked (unfortunately a few times since I thought ...nothing would happen) in the resize button here http://d.pr/i/j9Ur then I noticed this message in /var/log/messages:

Code
    Nov 13 11:40:52 HOLONAS kernel: [  228.010971] EXT4-fs warning (device md0): ext4_group_extend: multiple resizers run on filesystem!

Is everything fine? I see the Filesystem is now becoming larger... that is a good sign, isn't it?? I am a bit afraid something went wrong. What would be my next step (besides waiting for the resize to be done)?

Will the 5th drive be added on its own (which is now 'removed' - but that drive was never removed - that is what makes me concerned... I can access the RAID over afp though... so everything is still there.

Hope someone knows how to handle this!

edit:

output from fdisk -l

Output from /proc/mdstat

Code
    cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md0 : active raid5 sdd[0] sdb[4] sdc[3] sde[1]
          7814051840 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/4] [UU_UU]

unused devices: <none>

Output from mount:

Code
    mount
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/md0 on /media/05617d64-3b86-46a5-a058-dacbb21a0f2e type ext4 (rw,noexec,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Did you have a drive going bad before adding the new one by any chance? Was the array clean/active before you added? I would try rebooting. If that doesn't add it, try as root:

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdf

If that doesn't complete it, then

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Everything was clean when I started. I added /dev/sdf now and it's recovering ... hopefully that won't take too long. Guess next time I don't use the GUI for growing.

Does this look right now? Space device...?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The gui is what I use for growing. It shouldn't be a spare but when you reboot it might add it automatically. Otherwise, we can try a couple more things.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Hey ryeocaaron,

it worked somehow after all. But now the Raid5 seems to be quite slow - I often get disconnects over AFP and SMB andiTunes DAAP. OMV says the RAID is clean. How could I approach this? The newly added HDD is on another SATA lane - could that be the reason?

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are using daapd with iTunes, it is known issue with the older version of forked-daapd. AFP and samba shouldn't be disconnecting though. Anything in the Messages log?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!