SMART error (FailedReadSmartErrorLog) detected on host: mod

• I received this mail from my OMV 5 server

"
    This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: mod
    DNS domain: [Empty]

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1ER166_Z503CJSH [SAT], Read SMART Error Log Failed

Device info:
    ST3000DM001-1ER166, S/N:Z503CJSH, WWN:5-000c50-092117db3, FW:CC26, 3.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
    The original message about this issue was sent at Thu Jan 30 22:34:55 2020 CET
    Another message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists."

As suggested, I ran the command from the terminal: smartctl -a /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1ER166_Z503CJSH

Here is the result:

But I'm not so navigated as to understand the result, can someone explain it to me in simple terms?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a great page on Wikipedia about this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

And there you can find detailed information about what all the different indicators actually means. And what indicators are bad, using a warning triangle and highlighting. In my experience, once a hdd starts reporting S.M.A.R.T errors, things tend to go downhill fast. But not always. It is a good idea to monitor closely to see if things gets worse. And of course make sure one extra time that backups are good and a replacement drive is available.

If there are high costs associated with unplanned down time, it could be a good idea to schedule maintenance soon to swap the hdd before it fails at a bad time.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!