Upgrading Raid 6 HDD capacity

• Hi guys,

I have 4 HDDs of 6tb each on Raid 6

I'm almost out of space, and I don't have room for more on my MB.

Is there a way I can replace the HDDs (1 by 1) to 10tb each without losing any data?

Thanks

• Yes, you can replace one by one and at the end grow the file system to the new size. You should find several threads here what to do.

But be aware that this process means a lot of stress for the remaining drives and needs a resonable amount of time.

Therefore ensure that you have an up-to-date backup.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I have never used mdadm so far. Maybe the rebuild process is shown in the OMV WebUI. But I´m sure that there is an apropriate mdadm command to monitor the process.

If you replace the drive the RAID state will change to "resyncing"/"recovering" during the rebuilding. When the rebuild process has finished the state will change again to "clean"/"active".

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I just researched on max capacity of HDD on my MB, I noticed that my MB can hold 8 HDD and I have 4...

So for now I'm just going to add 2 more HDD, in Raid 6 it'd 6tb, bringing the total to ~15tb.

So now I need info on expanding Raid... lol

Thanks for the info

• So now I need info on expanding Raid... lol

Also this information can be found be searching the forum. You are not the first one who wants to do this;)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• threeeye

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!