How to extend 2x1TB (RAID 1) with 2x4TB?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another question: I am atm copying all the files via SCP as I only want to duplicate them locally.

Personally I would have created one share added that to SMB, then under that share from windows create the folder structure as on your Raid 1, then copy files, this is much quicker than using WinSCP. Once you know you're OK before creating the second array, delete the SMB share then delete the shared folder, this is how I would approach it.

• Personally I would have created one share added that to SMB, then under that share from windows create the folder structure as on your Raid 1, then copy files, this is much quicker than using WinSCP. Once you know you're OK before creating the second array, delete the SMB share then delete the shared folder, this is how I would approach it.

But does this not mean that all the files will be transferred once to my PC and then only again to the server? I have created the SMB shares. That is how I am controlling that everything is fine and that every folder has the same size and file numbers. But copying from share folder to share folder seemed very slow to me. Via WinSCP I am doing the copying only locally on the server which should be a lot faster, shouldn't it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Via WinSCP I am doing the copying only locally on the server which should be a lot faster, shouldn't it

No it will be slower, as you are using sftp, I only ever use that way of copying if I am moving files 'outside' the share i.e. to a totally spurious directory.

• No it will be slower, as you are using sftp, I only ever use that way of copying if I am moving files 'outside' the share i.e. to a totally spurious directory.

No, I am using SCP, not SFTP. WinSCP provides different options. With the latter you are surely right. With SCP it should work locally. But via SMB it is definitely not locally, is it? I should mention that the PC I installed here for teleworking during COVID is actually connected via WiFi and that therefore my data rates are pretty low. That is why I won't go for the temporary transfers to my PC and back to the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I should mention that the PC I installed here for teleworking during COVID is actually connected via WiFi and that therefore my data rates are pretty low. That is why I won't go for the temporary transfers to my PC and back to the server

Yes, wifi will be the bottleneck, even if it's 5Ghz

But via SMB it is definitely not locally, is it

No, that's one of the reasons I never use that approach, the only other way I would do this is to use like CloudCMD in docker, that is quick copying from one drive to another, or from one folder to another.

• Yes, wifi will be the bottleneck, even if it's 5Ghz

No, that's one of the reasons I never use that approach, the only other way I would do this is to use like CloudCMD in docker, that is quick copying from one drive to another, or from one folder to another.

Thanks for your help again! I have just finished the whole process. I am now having the data on both arrays so that everything is accessible via the 4TB drives. The 1TB array will work as backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!