URBACKUP restore to a new installation/client

• Greetings,

Scenario:

I run URBACKUP on a docker inside OMV 5.

I backed up my computer as an image and as full file backup

OMV is on a SSD on an expansion board on Rasberry pi 4b (cant just move the disk around). And all enclosed in a nice box.

Plan:

- I want to move my laptop from winsows to linux.

- Restore files I need from the older backup made when on windows (obviously not all system file and no programs). Purely my documents and other files that I am interested at.

Question:

How can I do that?

A research on the documentation show a few examples. Mostly how to use the image backup and mount it as a virtual disk so to brows files.

When installing a new urbackup client on a new machine, no backups are found from any older backups. (I believe is a normal behave as is a new client installation-no yet migrated but had mistakenly reinstalled client once-)

Nor I can see a sort of restore button or a file browser to choose from.

I cant figure out how to restore files previously backup into a new machine.

I would like some help.
    Note I am not expert on Urbackup. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks for your help

• This is more or less an urbackup question, not an OMV question.

It seems that a file restore to a different client is not possible out-of-the-box. I found two threads in the Urbackup forum which are about this topic:

Restoring files to a different VM / PC

Suggested file restore on new machine?

If you copy the old tokens to the new machine and ensure that you have the same client name, then it should be possible to restore from full file backups.

This is the feedback from Uroni:

uroni November 30, 2016, 7:39am #3

Yes, the client access key only being transferred with the first backup is a usability problem. Will be fixed.

If you want the new client to be able to access the old backups you need to somehow restore the files in C:\Program Files\UrBackup\tokens (e.g. via ZIP download).

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thanks Cabrio_leo,

I did post a question in Urbackup.
    I dont get a a answer that fit the docker scenario.

I received few answer where I have to modify some files in /var folder that of course, I dont have since I use docker.

I will look into your suggestion.
    I need a solution where I can rely on a restore files only even if I create a all new machine.
    I can imagine an image will reproduce exactely same machine.

But I need a file restore able to be restore in any other machine I create . Yes, some sort of password would be needed to avoid confusion among clients devices.
    Again, thanks.
    I will try to figureto restore the files in C:\Program Files\UrBackup\tokens

I must make sure I dont loose my files 8)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!