OMV DNS lookup not resolving

• The last time I have evidence of DNS resolution working on my OMV5 x86-64 system is a week ago when I updated to 5.5.8-1.

From OMV I cannot ping google.com, but can ping 8.8.8.8.

I have had multiple network configuration changes in the last couple of weeks which may have caused this:

I tried to create a network bond (as I had working in OMV4), however failed, requiring OMV-firstaid to restore network connection. I was subsequently unable to save my attempted change to my DNS address in the Network>Interfaces, however since the 5.5.8-1update I am now able to change it.

I have instead used my second interface for Docker containers, including Pi-hole, via a macvlan. Pi-hole is working properly for selected clients on my network, using as upstream servers Google and my ISP's. My router is also using Google and my ISP's DNS - not Pi-hole

My /etc/resolv.conf is an actual file (not a link) and lists my router as a nameserver, as does the Global DNS Server in resolvectl - the Link DNS server is now showing the change to my ISP's DNS server I made in the OMV control panel.

I do note I have a etc/resolvconf/ directory.

Any suggestions as to what to try now to get DNS working on my OMV system again would be welcome.

KnobblySnail

OMV5 on Asrock E3C224D2I, Xeon E3-1230Lv3, 8Gb, WD Red 3Tb x3 zfs, 120GB Samsung EVO mSATA, CoolerMaster V550S, in a Fractal Design Node 304

• Interestingly while ping google.com failed, systemd-resolve google.com worked.

I tried several things, including removing docker networks & containers and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf without success. What did work was ryecoaaron's suggestion to change /etc/resolv.conf from a file to a symlink to /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf, although I don't really see why, as both listed the same nameserver.

Thanks ryecoaaron :)

KnobblySnail

OMV5 on Asrock E3C224D2I, Xeon E3-1230Lv3, 8Gb, WD Red 3Tb x3 zfs, 120GB Samsung EVO mSATA, CoolerMaster V550S, in a Fractal Design Node 304

• I had the exact same problem yesterday. NOTHING solved my problem until i took the nuclear option. I reset all networking, reset my router, changed ports, changed physical connections, reinstalled OMV, installed base debain.... no dns still.

installing a different (known good) network card instantly solved the issue. The network card I removed I tested in another system and it worked fine so bit of a mystery still as to why.

Question? are you running stock firmware on your router? or are you running custom such as DD-WRT? I started having DNS issues once i switched my router from stock to DD-WRT. Basically traded one issue for another, as the stock software constantly dropped connections. If you are check your dns settings as I had missed a few things and had them set incorrectly which can compound your issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!