GUI not starting NFS daemon?

• Hi all,
    I've been having issues using the Web GUI to start sharing NFS folders. From the interface, I'm able to create shares, etc., but when attempting to mount the NFS shares from my computer running Arch Linux, I was getting an unknown device error. Running showmount -e 10.0.1.2 reported that my OMV was not exporting any shares. (10.0.1.2 being the IP within my network the OMV machine is at.) I re-verified the settings in the Web GUI, and rebooted the OMV machine, and still had the same error. I was able to ping my OMV machine from the Arch Linux machine, so it wasn't that the two machines couldn't see each other over the network.

I then SSHed in to the OMV machine to take a look around. The folders I had identified to export via NFS were properly mounted, and I could cd into them, so that much of the job had been completed by the GUI. However, I found that not only were /etc/exports and /etc/hosts.allow empty, but the nfs-kernel-server daemon was not running. After manually configuring /etc/exports and /etc/hosts.allow, restarting portmap and restarting nfs-kernel-server, I was able to successfully mount the NFS from my Arch Linux machine.

I had the same issue with SSH, in which I had to connect a monitor and keyboard to the OMV machine and manually start sshd in order to SSH into the device.

So, I got it working, and it's humming along fine now, but I'd like to understand why the GUI failed to configure and start these services. Is there something other than click "enable" in the GUI that you have to do to start services in OMV (other than doing so from bash as I did)? Did I miss a step during installation?

For reference, here's the machine's setup setup:
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell 3.0Ghz
    Mobo: MSI H81M-P33 LGA 1150 MicroATX(Running in UEFI + Legacy boot mode)
    HDD: 1x80GB Toshiba (OS), 1x2TB Seagate (unraided), 2x500GB Toshiba (in mirror RAID)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB 240-pin DDR3 1600

• Which version of OpenMediaVault are you using exactly?

Please post the output of the following command:

Code
    cat /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

Also post screenshots of the NFS Service + Shares Tab.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!