How to set quota with a ZFS pool

• After a lot of new grey hair, I finally managed to set up a server with ZFS as file system. But as there are different user, that use parts of the server as a Time Machine and should have only a limited space. On the old server with EXT4, I could set the quota easily at the file system settings. The ZFS pool also appears there, but i can't set the quota.

Is there no quota with ZFS or how can I set it?

• Yes, this is possible. This is done by modifying the ZFS properties of a ZFS dataset by the ZFS plugin.

Or you can do this by command line interface: See here: Setting User and Group Quotas on a ZFS File System

All the settings are stored in the ZFS file system itself, not in any configuration file of Openmediavault.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Can you tell me, how the plugin has to be modified? Or where the modifications have to be done in the cli? Is there a file where the settings are written in? Sorry for the simple questions, but I'm absolutely new in that.

• Is there a file where the settings are written in?

No, it is written to the ZFS file system meta data.

Can you tell me, how the plugin has to be modified?

I am not at home. So I can´t look. As I remember in the ZFS plugin there is an option to look into the file system properties. Some of them can be modified. Please look at the oracle dokumentation to find the correct property.

Or where the modifications have to be done in the cli?

All this can be done by the zfs <option> command.

Sorry for the simple questions, but I'm absolutely new in that.

No problem. You´re welcome. :)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thanks a lot for your advices. With a lot of courage i succeeded meanwhile in setting up a test user with a quota. I think I got it now. I still know old DOS times and was already scared at that time to let the computer implode with a wrong word ;)

• I still know old DOS times and was already scared at that time to let the computer implode with a wrong word

:D

The ZFS plugin of OMV has only a limited functionality, intended to manage basic ZFS tasks. More sophisticated ZFS tasks can be done in OMV too, but then one should be familiar with the usage of the commands zpool and zfs.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Can you tell me, how the plugin has to be modified?

Go to the ZFS Plugin -> Select a ZFS filesystem -> "Edit" from the menue

There you can edit the property "quota" or add a new property which is not in the list.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!