Raspberry Pi4 wifi does not connect to router

• Hello, first post. Installed OMV after following a guide. My network setup:

I have a switch where my pc , the raspberry pi4 (and another pc) are connected together. This switch does not have internet.

On my pc I use wireless for the internet (actually my router is one floor below). I also want to use wireless for the raspberry pi4, for updating OMV and for connecting to the internet with raspbian on the raspberry pi4.

When I first setup my raspberry, I have created a dhcpcd.conf file in which I have placed a metric for the wifi to be able to connect. (it seems that when you are connected with ethernet, it does not want to connect with the wifi and it does not matter if ethernet has internet or not). This worked well until I installed OMV which removed the dhcpcd.conf file.

My route output now is:

aris@RP4Ka:~ $ route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth0

default 192.168.10.254 0.0.0.0 UG 600 0 0 wlan0

192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 100 0 0 eth0

192.168.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0

192.168.10.254 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 600 0 0 wlan0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I set a lower metric than eth0 for the wlan0?

I believe that this will solve my problems as it did before installing OMV.

Thanks

Edit: I should clarify that from raspbian desktop wlan0, I am connected to my router and I can ping with 0 packet loss, but I cannot load any webpages or update the OS.

Also, from OMV, system -> settings -> network -> interfaces, wlan0 is listed as a device.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You'll need to take the R-PI to your router. The installation for OMV, below, requires a wired connection.

Follow this R-PI install guide. At the end, there are instructions on setting up wireless under Final Notes. Once wireless is setup, the wired connection won't be necessary.

• Hi, thanks for answering. I know my post was not very clear but you missed the first sentence. I have installed OMV, it is up and running (actually is was following the same guide as the one you have posted).

What I want is:

A permanent way to set a priority metric for the wifi (wlan0). That is all.

I have located some files under /run/systemd/network that have the metrics, but altering them and saving them does not work as the files reset on reboot. These files could be generated upon booting the system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

actually is was following the same guide as the one you have posted

Obviously not because nowhere in that guide does it tell you do to this;

When I first setup my raspberry, I have created a dhcpcd.conf file in which I have placed a metric for the wifi to be able to connect

or this;

I should clarify that from raspbian desktop

So basically you didn't follow the guide in how to install on a RPi installing and using any desktop environment is not advised

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have installed OMV, it is up and running (actually is was following the same guide as the one you have posted).

As geaves has pointed out, you've done something that altered the OMV installation before the installation took.

When it comes to Raspberry PI OS Desktop versions, bottom line, they're not supported. There's too many things that a desktop does / installs that are not compatible with a server. Really the choice boils down to, do you want a reliable server or do you want an client?

If you run through the installation, as documented with a freshly formatted SD-card AND a fresh Raspberry PI OS install, the R-PI will work over wifi. I have one on top of a bookshelf connected by wifi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!