Greyhole problem, slow network transfer

• Ok, I have been throwing files around for a while and am seeing some odd behaviour, the problem is that i am totally unsure if it's Greyhole, Samba or Windows related.

Transfer rates I have been getting when copying a large folder (38GB, 364 files, various sizes) are as follows:

WindowsHomeServer 2011 -> Windows 8.1 = ~100MB/s at peak but dropping to ~50MB/s for the small files. Average is around 80-90MB/s
    WindowsHomeServer 2011 -> OMV greyhole share = fairly steady ~35MB/s
    Windows 8.1 -> OMV greyhole share = very steady ~75-80MB/s
    WHS 2011 -> OMV share outside of the greyhole pool (but on same drive) = ~35MB/s

Now this would seem to point to WHS2011 being the problem but the slow file transfer from that is only to OMV. The WHS machine is my main longterm server and has been reliably transferring data to and from Windows and Mac OS X machines, at the speed I would expect, for years without issue.

• I'm getting bad rates with large amounts of smalll files. I read some on it and found some people were making registry edits to solve the problem. I don't know if this just applies to older versions of samba or not. Or maybe it is NIC related. What NICs are in your WHS 2011 & Windows 8.1 machine?

I should also mention Boudreau had some recommendations for the mounting of ext4 disks on his wiki. I noticed that the data drives were not mounted with any of the 3 things he suggests.

nofail noatime data=writeback

• I am seeing the same thing here, large files are fine @ ~100MB/s but when the transfer hits a small file it's dropping right down to ~10MB/s

WHS2011 is an HP N54L Microserver - Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter
    OMV is HP N40L - as above.
    Windows 8.1 machine self built, NIC is onboard and is - Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC

I'm starting to see a couple of PCIE Intel NICs in my future.. :?

• Yep, I'm thinking this is more of a Linux/dodgy NIC issue than anything samba or greyhole related. I am throwing some more files around to confirm that the file duplication is working ok but I think the Greyhole issue is pretty much solved. Just need to wait for this build to roll out to the repo once Mr Boudreau is happy with it.

• Ok, sorry to drag this thread back from the dead but I am still not seeing the performance that I would expect.
    I have changed the NIC in both the WHS2011 machine (HP N54L) and the OMV server (HP N40L) for PCIe Intel Gigabit Network Cards which I was hoping would address the poor network performance. Unfortunately this has had a minimal effect, network transfer to the OMV has gone up only 10MB/s to around 40MB/s

I am at a loss to explain why this is the case, the only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of inherent Greyhole overhead that is effecting network performance, possibly the interaction between Greyhole and Samba could be causing the performance degradation.!?!?
    As a next step I was going to setup an NFS share and attempt to transfer via NFS to see what the performance is like. Can anyone give me some tips as to how to connect to an NFS share on the OMV from windows.? I have done some digging and found a few guides but they are rather confusing. I should point out that I want to connect to the OMV from WHS2011 via NFS, NFS is already setup on WHS2011 and has been used to stream from there to an XBMC machine quite happily for a few years now so as I understand it all I need is the sequence for creating a networked drive on WHS2011 that connects to the NFS share on OMV.
    I have already added 1 of the shared folders on OMV via the NFS tab although I am not 100% sure it's correct.

I realise that this is drifting off topic a touch but hopefully this will be able to help identify the problem.

To be honest I wouldn't be that bothered as 40MB/s isn't catastophic but this is to be used as a media server and I am initially wanting to transfer close to 4TB of data onto it across the network.. would rather it didn't take all week.!!!!! ;)

• One other thing I have just noticed.. when checking for those mounting options you mentioned earlier (tekkbebe) I noticed an item in the Greyhole documentation stating that :

Zitat

Including any drive mounted as /media/Something in your storage pool is usually a bad idea.

Those mounts are created by the gnome-automounter, which requires you to be logged in into X (Gnome) to become available. This will create issues with Greyhole, which expects drives to always be available, and will take action when some of them are missing.

I notice that in my fstab, the section added by OMV has mounted drives as /media/UUID.. see below. Is this a problem.?

• Zitat von "H1ghland3r"

One other thing I have just noticed.. when checking for those mounting options you mentioned earlier (tekkbebe) I noticed an item in the Greyhole documentation stating that :

I notice that in my fstab, the section added by OMV has mounted drives as /media/UUID.. see below. Is this a problem.?

No. Those were mounted there by OMV, not the gnome-automounter.

• Zitat von "H1ghland3r"

I am at a loss to explain why this is the case, the only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of inherent Greyhole overhead that is effecting network performance, possibly the interaction between Greyhole and Samba could be causing the performance degradation.!?!?
    To be honest I wouldn't be that bothered as 40MB/s isn't catastophic but this is to be used as a media server and I am initially wanting to transfer close to 4TB of data onto it across the network.. would rather it didn't take all week.!!!!!

Just disable greyhole on your shares in smb.conf for your initial transfer, then re-enable it and run a Greyhole fsck to have Greyhole create the extra file copies when your landing zone is full.

• That's an idea of course.. Can't believe I didn't think of that..!!! :oops:

I am not actually using the file duplication feature on most of the files as they are purely for serving to an XBMC. I was using the drive pooling functionality primarily in this case in order to prevent having to manage the files across the drives..

• Hopefully one last thing.
    I have got the majority of data transferred to the OMV server now and ran the 'Files Check' on each of the shares. I have also got it to run 'Files Balance' once the check is complete.. My question is, how long should this take.? It has been running now for around 18 hours..? It is around 3TB of data so I don't expect it to take 5 minutes but is 18 hours right.? As far as I can see it is still doing the file check and hasn't even started the balancing yet.

• Zitat von "H1ghland3r"

This does not apply to OMV. The drives are in fstab and not loaded by gnome-automounter. They are always available from boot.
    I see GB already answered this.

• It doesn't seem right for it to take that long. Especially if you have a lot of large files. My fsck checks have been fast. Do you have a lot of small files? The only issue I've had is slow transfers to my OMV with lots of small files. I will do a lot more testing on this when we get to Wheezy. I should say my big files are moving really fast, like 70 MB/s.

• Sorry for the slow response (son's birthday party today)...

I think there is definately something wrong here.. the greyhole log is still repeating the same message..

Code
    Mar 08 18:38:02 INFO fsck: Now working on task ID 23799: fsck /media/46e2c9ca-6236-4900-84f3-60c34b206fae/Video/
    Mar 08 18:38:02 INFO fsck: Will execute all (364) pending fsck_file operations for /media/46e2c9ca-6236-4900-84f3-60c34b206fae/Video before running this fsck (task ID 23799).

The task id hasn't changed since last night..!?
    It's still running the same right now, that's almost 24 hours now.

• Long fsck might be normal, but your log level isn't high enough to be able to see what it's doing. You should put it back to the default DEBUG value.
    Or you can use top to see if greyhole is still busy, or strace to see exactly what it's doing.

• Ok, sorry but I'm not aware of how to do either of those things in order to give you some helpful log output.!?
    As far as I am aware I haven't changed the default log output.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can change the log level on the Settings tab.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for that. Have changed the log output to DEBUG and restarted the server.. I did that because the log output did not change.
    Having rebooted the server, the log output for greyhole is exactly the same as above...

• Ahh ok, think I've figured out at least part of the problem and it's my own stupid fault.. While messing about with the Greyhole config I mistakenly deleted an SMB share before removing it from the Greyhole config. I thought I had cleared it up by removing the leftover bits if share data in the smb.conf and greyhole.conf files but it seems that it's still causing an issue..

Code
    Mar 08 20:54:15 WARN fsck_file:   Found a share (Video) with no path in /etc/samba/smb.conf, or missing it's num_copies[Video] config in /etc/greyhole.conf. Skipping.
    Mar 08 20:54:15 DEBUG fsck_file:   Got 0 metadata files.
    Mar 08 20:54:15 WARN fsck_file: Found a task on a share (Video) that disappeared from /etc/greyhole.conf. Skipping.
    Mar 08 20:54:15 CRITICAL fsck_file: Tried to fsck a share that is missing from greyhole.conf. Quitting.

Any help in removing the evidence of my stupidity would be appreciated. The 'Video' SMB share no longer exists and does not show up in either the SMB config tab or the Greyhole one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!