Disabling only kernel backports?

• Hi there, I was I wondering if the Debian Backports repo is necessary for OMV functionality, and how it got enabled on my system.

I didn't realize that Debian Backports also offered a much newer kernel (currently 5.10). For the ancient armel hardware that I'm running on I don't think I want the latest kernel. But I imagine that OMV needs some newer packages from Backports? I don't recall ever explicitly enabling Backports, so it looks like it came by default when I installed OMV on top of the fresh vanilla Debian installation, as the repo file is named /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list . This appears to be a misnomer, as it points to a normal Debian Buster Backports repo that contains lots of other packages, not just kernel updates.

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free

BTW in OMV Update Management Settings I don't have Pre-release or Community updates enabled, but I'm not sure if that refers to just OMV packages or Debian packages.

So is there a GUI way to disable the Backports? Or are they required for OMV? Is there an easy way to make OMV ignore the kernel updates? I know I could simply not install them in the OMV Update section, but I don't want to accidentally install them without thinking some day when applying all updates. I'm also familiar with APT pinning and all that, but I really don't like to mess with it.

Thanks a lot!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi there, I was I wondering if the Debian Backports repo is necessary for OMV functionalit

No it isn't necessary.

how it got enabled on my system.

OMV enables it by default but only the kernel is pinned high enough to get a package from backports.

I didn't realize that Debian Backports also offered a much newer kernel (currently 5.10). For the ancient armel hardware that I'm running on I don't think I want the latest kernel.

You shouldn't get the 5.10 kernel since most arm systems require a very specific kernel instead of the general Debian kernel.

But I imagine that OMV needs some newer packages from Backports?

Nope. You can disable backports from omv-extras.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron thanks a lot for the fast and clear reply.

You shouldn't get the 5.10 kernel since most arm systems require a very specific kernel instead of the general Debian kernel.

Right, it's not the generic kernel, it's offering me linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.5-marvell 5.10.24-1~bpo10+1 , which is the correct arch for my processor.

Thanks for the tip about OMV Extras, that did the trick to disable Backports.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!