Rename Existing MDADM RAID5 array

• Guys,

My two MDADM arrays show as MD126 and MD127, one MD127 was created from the commandline on this box under OMV so it is "native" to the box. The other MD126 was created on this system but under a previous OS - Centos 7. (OMV when installed recognized this and made it available through the GUI)

Both systems use EXT4.

The arrays both use 1.2 of the metadata/superblock.

I am attempting to import another array (4 drives RAID5) created under Centos with EXT4 FS also.

I have a 16 channel LSI controller (in IT mode) and all of the RAID drives hang off it. My Boot drive is on a motherboard SATA port.

When i boot up the new array it deactivates some of the other drives and will not assemble the other 2 arrays - but the newly imported one comes up fine.

I think it might be a naming issue with it trying to take the MD127 name.

So my question is can i rename the existing arrays using standard MDADM tools (and update Initram) without OMV worrying ? I would assume so as it appears to reference them all by UUID ?

Craig

• Sorry - Life got in the way and just coming back to this now

It is a little screwy so i wanted to check here before proceeding to make sure this will not have any OMV implications

running

and then running

Code
     mdadm -Esv

gives me

ARRAY /dev/md/1  level=raid5 metadata=1.2 num-devices=4 UUID=b874f36c:6c9de6fe:f670abf0:4e251528 name=openmediavault.curtin.home:1
       devices=/dev/sdd2,/dev/sdc2,/dev/sdb2,/dev/sde2
    ARRAY /dev/md/0  level=raid5 metadata=1.2 num-devices=7 UUID=0d7e7347:58823df1:87e5704d:8c86ffe6 name=openmediavault.curtin.home:0
       devices=/dev/sdh1,/dev/sdf1,/dev/sdd1,/dev/sdc1,/dev/sdg1,/dev/sdb1,/dev/sde1

So i want to rename /dev/md127 to /dev/md0 and propose to run this command

Code
    mdadm --assemble --update=name --name=openmediavault.curtin.home:0 /dev/md0 /dev/sdh1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sde1

Once the array md126 finishes reshaping i will rename it also

Obviously once this is done i will regenerate the initram and update mdadm.conf

Do you see OMV having any issues with the above ??

Craig

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you see OMV having any issues with the above

TBH I don't know never had anyone attempt this before, but then again your raid setup's have not been created using OMV. OMV does not use partitions to create arrays, there's nothing wrong with how you have set this up, it's just not the norm.

My suggestion would be to ensure you have a backup, just in case

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!