How to auto load-key and mount natively encrypted ZFS Pool (no luks)

• The issue/contextI imported my encrypted zfs pool from TrueNAS SCALE and everything work well so far, except when I reboot I have to login and simply type:

Code
    zfs load-key $pool && zfs mount $pool

My question for OMV

it is in the roadmap of OMV to include these options

1. create an encrypted zfs pool via the WebUI
    2. doing the load-key automatically at boot

My HowTo for whom want encrypted zfs pool on their OMV

Be aware

1. native encrypted zfs is not fully privacy full proof; if someone have physical access to your machine, he will potentially be able to list (ls -R /encrypted-zpool) the files but not reading the content of these files (cat /encrypted-zpool/file) on your zfs drive even if the key is unloaded.
    2. I switch (export/import) my encrypted zpool mirror from debian and ubuntu based system without issues, you just need to know which version of openZFS you are using, and it'salgorithms limitations/incompatibilities.
    3. mirror are the best; zraid with 3,4,5 disk will slow down your drive access time (I/O); if you want more security do 2 mirrors and replicate them.
    4. For most of the usage case; ZIL and SLOG are useless for home and SOHO (small office/home office); I mean most home/SOHO will be limited by their network anyway.

as root

1. create your key and store it somewhere it is accessible during the boot process.

Code
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/zfs/zpool.key bs=1 count=32

2. use the drive ID (here an example:)

Code
    dataset_name=ssd
    drive1=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_PRO_256GB_S42VNF0K205921K
    drive2=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_PRO_256GB_S5GANE0N204528K

zpool create -f $dataset_name mirror $drive1 $drive2 -O encryption=aes-256-gcm -O keyformat=raw -O keylocation=file:///etc/zfs/zpool.key

3. create zfs-load-key service

4. enable the service for each encrypted ZFS pool created.*

Code
    systemctl enable zfs-load-key@$dataset_name

*from time to time, escaping characters will be included in the $dataset_name variable; to resolve this...

Code
    systemctl status zfs-load-key [TAB] [TAB]
    systemctl disable zfs-load-key@$dataset_name
    systemctl enable zfs-load-key@ssd
    systemctl daemon-reload

References

- create encrypted zfs pool: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ZFS#Native_encryption

- script zfs-load-key: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs…50#issuecomment-497500144

and now the bonus track for who may read until the end ;)

You may have notice since you installed zfs; mdadm try to mount raid without success at every boot, at maybe I'm picky, but this was annoying me.

So I was able to speed up my boot by removing every file md* inside /usr/share/initramfs-tools/

Code
    ls -R /usr/share/initramfs-tools/*|grep ^md
    update-initramfs -u

and now no more time waiting for mdadm which randomly mount raid's

ps: I also took the time to remove every file which was pointed at btrfs, dm, lvm, ntfs, xfs without any issue

ref: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/673315/88344

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!