NVME Errors - Recovering Journal after restart

• Hi Everyone,

System: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G with 16GB ECC memory

As a boot drive, I use a Kingston A2000 250GB.

I run OMV with a ZFS filesystem, using the pve kernel through omv-extras.

My system is very unstable. After updates or sometimes just random without a clear cause. I loose connection with my system and when I check the logs I get ext4 errors.

See attached images.

After restart the message "nvme0n1p2 recovering journal" appears.

I figured out that I can fix this problem in a different linux kernel by using "fsck". So this is what I do, running ubuntu of a usb on the same system.

But after some time (or updating the kernel) the same problems appear and I need do the actions through the usb again.

Does anyone know a possible cause or how to fix this?

I rather fix the cause than the result...

• Kingston A2000 250GB.

is this the drive causing message "nvme0n1p2 recovering journal" ?

if yes, there a many "how to" troubleshoot a faulty drive instructions here and in other linux forums

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• a hardware defect seems the most likely root cause, hence my question if you followed a '"how to" troubleshoot a faulty drive instructions'.

These are lengthy & detailed check lists, generic statements like " followed a lot of instructions" wont help to find the solution becasue we dont have a crystal ball telling us exactly what was already tried.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Through another forum the cause looks like something with the pve kernel. I now switched to the "test" kernel available in omv-extras.

And for now, the server seems stable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!