Beiträge von mi-hol

Reading current doc it sets from my view the expectation, that upgrades are only happening at time of "omv-regen regenera" due to "must be updated" actual fact seems "will be updated"!

As said in first post I read the doc and summarized my conclusion in above.

It is a major difference in meaning between "must be updated" versus "will be updated by the script automatically"

The publications have been crossed.

I'd believe language barriers are preventing us from understanding each others view and acting together.

Above quoted statement uses words that very likely do not convey the purpose/intent you mean (to me at least).

Rules I learned over a long time are:

- long descriptions & explanations are never read or understood in the intended way

- therefore defaults should prevent potential errors from happing

As I tried to explain, current defaults can cause an unusable system as result of just executing "omv-regen backup".

This issue should be fixed from my view.

Are we in agreement about this proposal?

I posted while the update still ran, now from script output it looks the defaults used for command line run should be changed to fix my issue.

Instead of "Update system before making the backup ==> Yes"

better would be "Update system before making the backup ==> No"

Same applies to "Delete backups older than ==> 7 days" => No deletes

<<< Backup to regenerate system dated 240108_154751 >>>

>>> The current parameters set for the backup are:

Folder to store the backup ==> /ORBackup

Update system before making the backup ==> Yes

Delete backups older than ==> 7 days.

Optional folders to include in the backup ==>

/home

>>> Updating the system.

chente the omv-regen script is great and plugs a big hole in official OMV features open since at least 2018 !

Unfortunately the documentation doesn't mention that version upgrades are triggered even when only "omv-regen backup" is run.

Reading current doc it sets from my view the expectation, that upgrades are only happening at time of "omv-regen regenera" due to "must be updated" actual fact seems "will be updated"!

Because every upgrade has the risk of failing, there a chance to make currently working setup unusable.

Therefore my questions:

1. could the doc be clarified in this regard (happy to create a PR with my proposal)?
    2. Would working with Volker to integrated the script into OMV as a standard feature (including wiki doc) be a feasible approach?

Current doc:"

• OMV and plugin versions must match on both the original and new systems.

As a consequence of the previous point:

• The original system must be updated when you make the backup, do not wait a day to regenerate.
    • If an important plugin update is released during the process it could stop.
    • If the above case occurs, omv-regen will decide whether or not the installation of that plugin can be skipped."

I'm not sure how to fix it, any help gratefully received, occurding to the update area I'm fully up to date.

please be specific about "what" you want to fix?
    "INFO: " in above is not indicating an error!

I read somewhere (or thought I did) that not all PCIe SATA controllers worked with OMV?

HW compatibility is not depending on OMV but the underlying OS Debian 11 and it's HW drivers.

PCIE SATA is the most compatible class of HW from my view

You can avoid that possibility completely by using an LSI SAS HBA card instead

From my view I wouldn't fully confirm this statement, because these PCIE cards require much more vendor support for driver maintenance and for some LSI SAS HBA HW supported drivers are no longer or not yet available especially in combination with non-X86 CPUs.

See https://github.com/geerlingguy…=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+LSI

I used "dd full disk" too ( use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file) on my RPi to safeguard a planned upgrade but the window closed after some long time hence I don't know if it completed successfully.

Is there a way to see a log or check the compressed image file for completion?
    I've opened image file with 7-zip on Windows and that succeeded.
    Is that a good enough indicator for a good image?