How to sync user- and groupinformation to an another Openmediavault?

• Hi
    i wand to have a second Openmediavault as a more or less complete "backup" of the first one in case the main one goes down. Syncing folders/files is not so the problem - but what is the best way to sync all der Users/groups periodically from the master to the slave?

Thanks!

• you will have to build yourself a script which syncs / merges these files

/etc/group

/etc/passed

/etc/shadow

There is nothing out of the box I know of.

Question is not related to only omv, but valid for any Linux.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• If you want to have the second one as a second system, you could set up pam_ldap and an openldap server, but I would not do this for backup purposes, because if the ldap fails ...

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Because a simple copy will maybe not accurate in sync - when should i copy? permanently? What if the client system wants to read the files exatly the time they ar overwritten/deleted? what if i copy a corrupt file to the client?

• The three file contain

• list of user
    • list of groups
    • password

How likely is it that this changes during an rsync / copy?

• This i can not decide nor calculate - and thats exactly why i want a calculatable solution...its - IT - and IT defines, lives from exact and accurate algorithms/systems!

How likely is it that this changes during an rsync / copy?

• Do you really want to make a HA system from OMV?

Users / Groups and passwords are the least thing to care about. User data / config, ... would be more important.

If you really need this, set up pam with openldap und sync this, but the proble mremains: when to sync and in what intervals.

What RTO and RPO do you need?

• Dont worry - we backup data using Bareos on in a large RAID6 Array - archiving is done onto a Tape Robot system using LTO8 - i want to use openmediafault because of its easy Userinterface for the normal small admins who are handling only useraccounts and nothing else...
    Right now i have multiple servers with about 800TB on large Hardware-RAID6 Arrays and a multi PB Tapesystem. Users in the pas uses windows servers but this changes now and in the future all MS Servers will be gone...
    I thougt maybe somebody else did the same as in the past and can give me some hints...

• Nice litte data center. :)

But you are not managing users in local files, even for OMV?

• I have a running LDAP for a different solutions - like Nextcloud, Davical and Confluence... but now i have to find an easy system for 6-8 fileservers on a different level... i can not be shure that all this servers will be together in the future - when somebody leaves us they will take their servers with them.... so it should be something more "Lego" kind a way... and the whole right now is more in a "build" phase... i still have some Win2012R2 Domains which uses OMV right now to mirror their data - but they have to go and so i try to build something easy to handel using Openmediavault...

• Requirements are a bit different from #1 now. Can you sketch how these 6-8 file servers are going to be used?

If you need to sync users, you will have to use a pam module, not the local user files. But why have more than one file server.

• We have more than one fileserver because
    1. different Users(groups) buy their own Fileservers (and maybe take them in the future with them to a different job),
    2. they have different level of securitylevels like how many users / groups
    3. every server has to have a maximum on throughput to the RAID-Systems because of the amount of data the clients produce.
    Any of theses servers has at least 1-2x 10GB Connection to the Switch and up to 5 Highspeed-Clients which push data there... right now the Backplane of the Switches could be the bottlenck...

• Hi
    i wand to have a second Openmediavault as a more or less complete "backup" of the first one in case the main one goes down. Syncing folders/files is not so the problem - but what is the best way to sync all der Users/groups periodically from the master to the slave?

Getting back to this, I do not see a compelling reason fr a complicated user / group sync

And I you have some compelling reason to buy some file share from you, drop me a private message.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!