ext4 volumes from another NAS - can you import these into OMV?

• Hello everyone. :)

I am thinking about moving my existing Puppy Linux servers, over to OMV.

The Puppy servers all use ext4 on all the volumes.

Can I simply change from Puppy to an OMV install, and have OMV pick up and use the folders on the ext4 volumes managed by Puppy?

My thoughts were that I SHOULD be able to share them, as folders via OMV's standard "Shared Folders" in the web-admin.

I would expect to have to share ALL the folders one by one, but can it be done?

Thanks for any comments.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I simply change from Puppy to an OMV install, and have OMV pick up and use the folders on the ext4 volumes managed by Puppy?

Yep. Both use the same ext4.

My thoughts were that I SHOULD be able to share them, as folders via OMV's standard "Shared Folders" in the web-admin.

I would expect to have to share ALL the folders one by one, but can it be done?

Unless you can share a parent folder, you will have to share each folder one by one.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the reply and the thread link - I will read that shortly. I read somewhere that this cannot be done(taking volumes from another Linux distro), as OMV will want to format its own volumes and won't work with ext4 from another machine. I found that a little hard to believe as both are ext4, and ext4 is common to just about ANY Linux these days.

Anyway, I thought I should ask here as you would be the people to know! ;)

Yes, I might copy all the sub-folders into one single parent folder in Puppy before I move the drive.

That's a good idea, cos then I only need to share one folder.

Now I know it will work, I can do a few experiments.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read somewhere that this cannot be done(taking volumes from another Linux distro), as OMV will want to format its own volumes and won't work with ext4 from another machine.

Definitely a bad source and someone does not know what they are talking about. Glad I could give you accurate info : )

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah, I am new to OMV, but even I had a hard time believing that. I know there used to be older ext2/ext3 based servers that DID work that way - they would not allow you to move volumes into them if they were formatted somewhere else. I am thinking specifically of NASlite and NASlite2 from Server Elements. But OMV is free, and NL2 I have not used in years now. ...and they also wanted you to pay for NL2. That's basically what made me move to Puppy Linux. A lightweight Linux with really easy to configure SAMBA sharing. However, I can see the benefits of a headless system like OMV - no need for even a lightweight Puppy-like GUI, you do it all via a web-browser! 8)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!