Issue with ZFS on root

• Hello,

I just setup a fresh install to run OMV6.

I decided to use ZFS on root to make a mirror and to use snapshot feature using 2 NVME SSDs

I think it is causing some weird issue on the system, I'm getting issue when using mergerfs plugin (for my drives), it says 500 error when going to file system page after a reboot and it seems it breaks the monitoring system that send me alert for things like rootfs missing even if system is running :/

I also got some errors when using the disk stats plugin when mounting my ext4 throught the UI

So I guess ZFS with OMV6 is not well supported at the moment. I was wondering if using BTRFS on root could be a better solution than ZFS as it is more supported by design on debian ?

Or I should forget any storage pool system with OMV on root ? :(

• Legacy

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Issue with OMV with ZFS on root“ zu „Issue with ZFS on root“ geändert.
  • I was wondering if using BTRFS on root could be a better solution than ZFS as it is more supported by design on debian ?

I've been running a BTRFS rootfs on a Pi for a long time and it never had an issue.

With SNAPPER, it makes snapshots on boot and prior to any big change to the system (when apt runs for eg, it makes a pre snapshot).

There's also the possibility to make a RAID1, if wanted (never did it).

In order to do this, you first need to know and learn how to solve issues if and when they happen.

The system can be running flawlessly for a long time but, it can go sideways at any moment.

If you can, first test it via a VM and try commands or pseudo situations to see what solutions you can try to come back to a running OS.

Some good reading can be found here:

Getting started - btrfs Wiki (kernel.org)

Snapper - ArchWiki (archlinux.org)

The guide I used, is this one (take in consideration that it is written for Raspberry Pis, so the script to update the initramfs won't work on AMD64/i386) :

Good luck

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!