Secure storage of backup credentials

• Offizieller Beitrag

i am wondering if there is a way to change the directory the (for example) borg backup remote server and encryption credentials are stored to a encrypted drive.

Nope. They are stored in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. You could encrypt the root OS drive but that can be a pain.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your reply.

i allready had omv installed on top of an encrypted raid 1 debian two times but somehow i managed to brik something and it would not boot anymore.

Unlocking the encrypted boot drive would be possible over dropbear-initramfs and everything worked but after i further started setting my nas/homeserver up i briled it somehow. I will probably try again tomorrow after work and do smal steps and reboots inbetween so i can see what breaks it.

Althrough it is very unlikely that someone would search for the credentials of my backupserver after stealing my hardware (which is not unlikely in the area i live) it would be better in my opinion to have it encrypted so in said case i would still have a copy of my data.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Althrough it is very unlikely that someone would search for the credentials of my backupserver after stealing my hardware (which is not unlikely in the area i live) it would be better in my opinion to have it encrypted so in said case i would still have a copy of my data.

If someone has your server and the root partition is not encrypted, it wouldn't do any good to encrypt the password in the database since the web interface would have to automatically be able to decrypt the password in the database. And since some could boot a rescue disk and reset the admin password, they would be able to get in the web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!