Difference/Advantages/Disadvantages of using rsync vs fsarchiver as backup plugin?

• I would also like to know, what are the advantages of fsarchiver compared to rsync, because for me I was thinking about using rsync, backing it up to something that can create snapshots (BTRFS, Restic, or LVM) and thereby having the state of the OMV system of each week I run the backup plugin saved, while needing much less space than the fsarchiver plugin.

Please when answering, it would be cool, if you could try to tell me, why one option is better not just that one option is better. A statement (Im making one up now, doesnt need to be true) like "FSarchiver is made for filesystem recovery, whereas rsync just syncs files and is not really backup solution" would in my opinion not really address the question in a way for me to understand why that is the case.

I would rather like to have an answer that describes what is harder to do when using either option, and why that is the case.

Thanks in advance for any time put into an answer as it would help me a lot and maybe help me to create some script that also others can use for backing up via backup-plugin+ snapshots.

Apart from that I think it would generally be cool to put infos about those different options and pros and cons and when to use what into openmediavault documentation. There is not a lot written about that or at all.

Same thing with restore procedure, which is somehow missing from the documentation. Of course I understand if there are time constraints on doing so.

With rsync, I guess restoring would just look like

--> install a fresh omv 6.0

--> Start from a live os and then rsync all the contents that were rsynced to the USB containing the fresh OS.

--> Start from OMV

would that be it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!