Mount path /tmp is not canonical (contains a symlink).

• Code
    Nov 05 12:30:57 omv systemd[1]: tmp.mount: Failed to run 'mount' task: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Nov 05 12:30:57 omv systemd[1]: tmp.mount: Failed with result 'resources'.

and

The unit tmp.mount has entered the 'failed' state with result 'resources'.
    Nov 05 12:39:02 omv systemd[1]: Failed to mount Mount /tmp as tmpfs to reduce write access to the root device.

Yeah - I know.

/tmp -> /var/tmp

and /var is mounted on its own device

Code
    /dev/sda         122548168     6651820   115879964   6% /var

So I believe I know better than OMV and would like it to accept/swallow my design choice without constantly falling on its face when applying configuration.

HowTo?

Shaitan 6.0.46-4 on Intel J1900/8GB RAM/400+TiB

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I believe I know better than OMV and would like it to accept/swallow my design choice without constantly falling on its face when applying configuration.

OMV makes sure to use tmpfs for /tmp. I don't see any way to disable that. You could delete /srv/salt/omv/deploy/systemd/20tmp.sls but it would come back with every omv update. /tmp isn't a symlink on my systems. Both /tmp and /var/tmp are using tmpfs though. How did you install OMV? Why do you do want /tmp on a regular device?

$ grep /tmp /proc/mounts

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,inode64 0 0

folder2ram /var/tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,inode64 0 0

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OMV makes sure to use tmpfs for /tmp. I don't see any way to disable that. You could delete /srv/salt/omv/deploy/systemd/20tmp.sls but it would come back with every omv update. /tmp isn't a symlink on my systems. Both /tmp and /var/tmp are using tmpfs though. How did you install OMV? Why do you do want /tmp on a regular device?

I installed OMV around version 3 or so and updated incrementally.
    Usually I use tmpfs too if the machine has enough memory.

As for the why:

1) the machine has only 8GB and I didn't want to cut off any more of that than necessary
    2) I have a separate 128GB SSD for /var so why not use that?

I'll try to hack /srv/salt/omv/deploy/systemd/20tmp.sls in a way it doesn't keep coming back. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

the machine has only 8GB and I didn't want to cut off any more of that than necessary

The only machine I have ever worried about too much tmpfs on had 512mb of ram.

I have a separate 128GB SSD for /var so why not use that?

Hope it is decent quality with wear leveling. Otherwise it won't last long replacing tmpfs.

I'll try to hack /srv/salt/omv/deploy/systemd/20tmp.sls in a way it doesn't keep coming back

You might have to clear the salt cache the first time you remove it and possibly every time it somehow comes back.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• The only machine I have ever worried about too much tmpfs on had 512mb of ram.

Hope it is decent quality with wear leveling. Otherwise it won't last long replacing tmpfs.

Maybe you use /tmp differently than I do.

The SSD has worked for over 4 years - I'll stick with the turkey fallacy for now.

By the way: Do you know why I started using OMV (see nickname)? Because I hoped for a NAS that didn't try to outsmart its users.

It has worked very well so far. Would be a pity if that changed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe you use /tmp differently than I do.

Obviously. I use it for ephemeral files. What do you use it for?

Do you know why I started using OMV (see nickname)? Because I hoped for a NAS that didn't try to outsmart its users.

It has worked very well so far. Would be a pity if that changed.

OMV has been setting up /tmp as tmpfs since the very beginning (0.2). So, definitely not doing something new. I honestly don't know how this is outsmarting its users. If you are using /tmp for something that can't be used in tmpfs, it seems like a something that is not a typical NAS workload.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!