Everything seems to work but I am concerned about this message *Warning: Partition table header claims...*

• I am using macOS and smb protocol to connect 2 "WD Essentials" hdd to my openmediavault install; one is 2TB and the other is 5TB. Initially I was having trouble with permissions but an addition to extra options of the samba share configuration menu fixed my problem. However, when creating a file system on the 5TB drive I am met with this warning, "Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries os 0 bytes, the this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage." I ran both drives through gparted on a separate linux install just to make sure they were as squeaky clean as I could manage before wipe/create file system/mount and I repeatedly get that warning for the 5TB drive, not the 2TB.

I essentially ignored the warning and continued with the setup process and have both drives shared under the smb service. I can connect to OMV through finder, I can read/write to each drive, and even wrote a 4TB sparsebundle image to the 5TB drive. I am not well versed quite yet in terms how file systems and partitions work but my concern is corrupted data over time. I ultimately want to have Duplicati send Time Machine backups to OMV.

Should I be concerned with this warning message and if so, how can I make it right?

Thanks!

• elzorroazul777

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I don't have an answer for you but I came here because I'm seeing the same error in OMV6, never saw this before. I'm adding an 18TB Seagate drive today (recertified, maybe that's the problem) and it's throwing a similar error.

Not sure if this drive is just so big it's throwing off the server or if it was formatted in a weird way but you'd think the wipe and file system creation would fix it (it's not).

This is going to be my snapraid parity drive so seeing the error message is a bit weird for sure, I get where your head is at. If you figure out what it means before I do please share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since the drive is a refurb / recert, you should activate SMART (under Storage, SMART, Settings). Check the drive's SMART stat's.
    The following are of interest. Ideally, their raw counts will be 0 (zero).

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

Note if your drive is USB connected, some SMART commands and stat's may be filtered.

Not sure if this drive is just so big it's throwing off the server or if it was formatted in a weird way but you'd think the wipe and file system creation would fix it (it's not).

If SMART looks OK:
    Since it's likely that the drive was used before, try secure wipe. Drives that were part of a RAID array or formatted with ZFS can be stubborn, but secure wipe will clean them up. (The down side, with an 18TB drive is, it may take a LOT of time.)
    You might try letting secure wipe run for 5 minutes or so and reboot. This wipes the boot sector and other feature flag data at the beginning of the drive. If that doesn't work, try the full secure wipe.

• Right on thanks. I'm actually seeing that same message for every new disk I add now regardless, so it's either a bug or something else is going on with my config where it throws that warning about the partition table for every new disk. Maybe it's a mergerfs or snapraid thing who knows. That said the disks format and mount fine so I'll just ignore it and hope for the best.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When looking at something like this, it's important to look for common threads. Don't forget hardware. Mobo's (the mobo sata interface) and power supplies can cause problems with all connected hardware. (Hardware related issues might cause SMART 199 CRC errors.)

Software is unlikely to cause problems with "all" hardware of a specific type. Even if that were the case, a software rebuild would give an indication. If the problem persists, using a live CD for testing (maybe Knoppix?) might eliminate possibilities.

Lastly, note that OMV is an application that uses Debian at the OS level. Debian is one the oldest, most tested and most conservative of all the Linux distro's. A bug in Debian, that would affect your hard drives, without affecting the hard drives of thousands of other users, is unlikely.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!